January 20, 1896
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Died||September 15, 1982
Pacific Palisades, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Hollywood Forever Cemetery|
|Spouse(s)||Beulah Lucille Fox (?-?) daughter|
Rolfe Sedan (January 20, 1896 – September 15, 1982) was an American character actor, best known for appearing in bit parts, often uncredited, usually portraying clerks, train conductors, postmen, cooks, waiters etc.
He began his career in show business as a nightclub and vaudeville performer and began acting in East Coast theatre. Sedan debuted on Broadway in 1916 and appeared in his first motion picture for Metro Pictures Corporation in 1921.
He became a prolific character actor and is probably best remembered by movie buffs as the hotel manager in Ninotchka (1939) starring Greta Garbo. Around the same time, he appeared in an uncredited role as the Emerald City's Balloon Ascensionist in The Wizard of Oz (1939). He returned to Broadway, performing in several different shows during the first half of the 1940s and in the 1950s began a sequence of guest roles in television series such as The Jack Benny Show. His most frequent TV work came from recurring roles as put-upon mail carriers (25 episodes as Mr. Beasley on The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show; 4 episodes as Mr. Briggs on The Addams Family). He was also seen as the train conductor in the film Young Frankenstein (1974). Rolfe Sedan remained active throughout a career that spanned more than six decades.
Sedan died in 1982 in Pacific Palisades, California from heart problems at age 86.
- Sporting Youth (1924)
- Poisoned Paradise: The Forbidden Story of Monte Carlo (1924)
- Three Women (1924)
- My Old Dutch (1926)
- Mantrap (1926)
- Kid Boots (1926)
- The Adorable Cheat (1928)
- Show People (1928)
- One Hysterical Night (1929)
- Slightly Scarlet (1930)
- Monkey Business (1931)
- Devil on Deck (1932)
- Meet the Baron (1933)
- The Thin Man (1934)
- I'll Give a Million (1938)
- Everything Happens at Night (1939)
- The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939)
- Ninotchka (1939)
- The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Law of the Tropics (1941)
- The Birds and the Bees (1956) - Cabin Steward (uncredited)
- Silk Stockings (1957) - Stage Manager (uncredited)
- Bedtime Story (1964) - Waiter (uncredited)
- 36 Hours (1964) - Frenchman (uncredited)
- The Art of Love (1965) - Cab Driver (uncredited)
- Darling Lili (1970) - French Stage Manager (uncredited)
- Young Frankenstein (1974) - Train Conductor
- The Hindenburg (1975) - Ambassador Luther (uncredited)
- The Happy Hooker Goes to Washington (1977) - Couple at Airport
- The World's Greatest Lover (1977) - Conductor
- Love at First Bite (1979) - Maitre d'
- The Frisco Kid (1979) - Rabbi
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rolfe Sedan.|