|Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament|
for York Centre
|Assumed office |
June 7, 2018
|Preceded by||Monte Kwinter|
Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario (until January 15, 2021)|
He was a member of the Ontario PC caucus until January 15, 2021 when Premier Doug Ford removed him from caucus over his opposition to the province's lockdown and restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic in Ontario.
Baber was Chair of Parliament's Justice Policy Committee until his removal by a Government motion on February 16, 2021.
Baber's family settled in Toronto in the Bathurst Street and Sheppard Avenue area, an area he now represents. He is a lawyer by profession, and attended William Lyon Mackenzie Collegiate Institute and York University, before earning his law degree at the University of Western Ontario.
Autism file & Baber Report
In April 2019, Baber was asked by Premier Doug Ford to review the Government's Autism plan. Baber's review, later termed the "Baber Report" was provided anonymously to The Globe and Mail after it was shared with the Government's Autism Advisory Panel. On July 29, 2019, the Ontario government apologized to the families of autistic children for the initial Plan and acknowledged that the changes to the autism program announced earlier that year were poorly conceived.
- "Upstart Roman Baber trounces Joe Oliver for PC York Centre nomination". Toronto Star. January 16, 2017. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- Sunshine, Fannie (June 7, 2018). "PCs' Roman Baber wins York Centre, says voters want 'Ontario back on track'". Toronto Star.
- Benzie, Robert (January 15, 2021). "Premier Doug Ford turfs MPP Roman Baber from Tory caucus for opposing COVID-19 lockdown". Toronto Star. Torstar. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- "Ford ousts MPP from caucus over open letter pushing for end to COVID-19 lockdown". cbc.ca. January 15, 2021.
- @Roman_Baber (January 15, 2021). "I was removed from the @OntarioPCParty caucus. It's a regretful decision since many colleagues agree with me, incl @fordnation in large part. I don't regret speaking out for millions of lives & livelihoods decimated by Public Health, I serve the public. The Lockdown is grounded in false public health narrative, poor planning & bad data. While Doug only cares about re-election, Lockdowns are killing more than saving. I couldn't watch the suffering anymore. I hope I encouraged other professionals to speak out" (Tweet). Archived from the original on January 15, 2021 – via Twitter.
- "Hansard Transcript 2021-Feb-16 | Legislative Assembly of Ontario". www.ola.org. Retrieved February 23, 2021.
- "'IT'S BEEN A BUSY SUMMER' – MPP ROMAN BABER ON HIS NEW JOB AT QUEEN'S PARK". Canadian Jewish News. August 30, 2018. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- "Roman Baber, MPP - Toronto". local.toronto.com.
- "PCs' Roman Baber wins York Centre, says voters want 'Ontario back on track'". Toronto Star. June 8, 2018. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- "Autism advocates calling for Ontario to adopt full program reset laid out in PC MPP's review". Retrieved January 27, 2021.
- Moffatt, Mike (June 30, 2019). "Ontario Autism Program — Examining the Baber report". Medium. Retrieved January 27, 2021.
- "Ford government announces reversal of contentious autism program - CityNews Toronto". toronto.citynews.ca. Retrieved January 27, 2021.
- "Ontario government apologizes for autism program changes; needs-based model won't launch until next April". Retrieved January 27, 2021.
- "Ontario Newsroom | Salle de presse de l'Ontario". news.ontario.ca. Retrieved January 27, 2021.