Balayan in 2014
Roman Gurgenovich Balayan
15 April 1941
Roman Gurgenovich Balayan (Armenian: Ռոման Գուրգենի Բալայան, Russian: Рома́н Гурге́нович Балая́н; born 15 April 1941, Nerkin Horatagh, Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast, Soviet Union) is a Ukrainian-Armenian film director.
Graduated by the Ivan Karpenko-Kary Institute of Theater Arts, he lived and worked in Ukraine. Balayan calls himself a student of Sergei Parajanov. He was nominated and won several international prizes. His 1986 film Guard Me, My Talisman was entered into the main competition at the 43rd edition of the Venice Film Festival and won the Golden Tulip at the 1987 International Istanbul Film Festival. His 1977 film Lone Wolf was entered into the 28th Berlin International Film Festival and his 2008 film Birds of Paradise was shown at the 30th Moscow International Film Festival. In 2018 he announced, that he may be shooting his next film in Ukrainian language.
- 1978 – Lone Wolf
- 1983 – Flights in Dreams and Reality
- 1986 – Guard Me, My Talisman
- 2008 – Birds of Paradise
- Bareyan at IMDB
- VV.AA. Variety Film Reviews, Volume 19. Garland Pub., 1989.
- Peter Cowie. Variety International Film Guide. Tantivy Press, 1989.
- "IMDB.com: Awards for Lone Wolf". imdb.com. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
- "30th Moscow International Film Festival (2008)". MIFF. Archived from the original on April 21, 2013. Retrieved June 2, 2013.
- https://www.novayagazeta.ru/articles/2018/09/07/77753-roman-balayan-amerika-mne-dolzhna-skazat-es-ukazat-rossiya-dolzhna-kakogo-cherta Novaya Gazeta