Roman Catholic Apostolic Prefecture of the Marshall Islands
|Apostolic Prefecture of the Marshall Islands
Praefectura Apostolica Insularum Marshallensium
|Country||Republic of the Marshall Islands|
|Area||69 sq mi (180 km2)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||23 April 1993 (23 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Assumption (Majuro)|
|Prefect||Raymundo Sabio, M.S.C.|
The Roman Catholic Apostolic Prefecture of the Marshall Islands (Latin: Praefectura Apostolica Insularum Marshallensium) (MI) is an apostolic prefecture of the Catholic Church, an ecclesiastical territory below the rank of diocese, in the Republic of the Marshall Islands.
The prefecture is a suffragan of the Metropolitan Province of Agaña. Although the see of the prefecture is not in the United States, the prelature includes Wake Island, which is an unorganized, unincorporated territory of the United States. The prefecture is led the pastor of the Cathedral of the Assumption in Majuro. The prefect was appointed from the local missionary Jesuits.
Missionaries from the Order of the Sacred Heart arrived in 1898.
On April 23, 1993, Pope John Paul II split the former Diocese of Carolines-Marshalls into the Apostolic Prefecture of the Marshall Islands and the Diocese of Caroline Islands. While small in total number of Catholics, the area covered is nearly the size of the United States. In 2007, Father James Gould, apostolic prefect, resigned. Father Raymundo Sabio, a Filipino missionary, was chosen to succeed him.
- James C. Gould, S.J. (April 23, 1993 – December 21, 2007)
- Raymundo Sabio, M.S.C. (December 22, 2007 – present)
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of Agaña
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- Gary D. Bouma; Rod Ling; Douglas Pratt (2010). Religious Diversity in Southeast Asia and the Pacific: National Case Studies. London: Springer Publishing. p. 154. ISBN 978-90-481-3388-8.
- CNA Editorial Staff (2007-12-21). "Korean missionary to be apostolic prefect of the Marshall Islands". Catholic News Agency. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
|This Marshall Islands article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|