Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Calcutta
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Archdiocese of Calcutta
কলকাতার বিশপের এলাকা
कलकत्ता के सूबा
|Area||11,532 sq mi (29,870 km2)|
|(as of 2006)
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||18 April 1834|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary|
|Patron saint||St Francis Xavier|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Thomas D’Souza|
|Emeritus Bishops||Henry Sebastian D’Souza Archbishop Emeritus (1986-2002)
Lucas Sirkar Archbishop Emeritus (2002-2012)
|Website of the Archdiocese|
The Archdiocese was originally erected as the Apostolic Vicariate of Bengal in 1834 by Pope Gregory XVI, and renamed as the Apostolic Vicariate of Western Bengal in 1850 by Gregory's successor, Pope Pius IX.
On September 1, 1886, when the Catholic hierarchy was created in British India by Pope Leo XIII, the Vicariate was elevated to the rank of metropolitan archdiocese and renamed as the “Archdiocese of Calcutta”.
Over the course of times the Archdiocese was frequently divided and new metropolitan provinces were created : Ranchi, Guwahati, and Patna. At the beginning of the 21st century, the metropolitan province of Calcutta covers only the state of West Bengal. The suffragan sees are : Asansol, Bagdogra, Baruipur, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, Krishnagar, and Raiganj.
The archdiocese's cathedral, the seat of its archbishop, is the Cathedral of the Most Holy Rosary, commonly called the “Portuguese Church”. Calcutta also houses the oldest Catholic church in the area, the Basilica of the Holy Rosary, in Bandel - a former Portuguese settlement - some 40 kilometers (25 miles) north of the city of Kolkata.
List of Ordinaries of Calcutta
Apostolic Vicars of Bengal
- 1834 - 1838 : Robert Saint–Leger, S.J.
- 1838 - 1840 : Jean-Louis Taberd, M.E.P.
- 1840 - 1850 : Patrick Joseph Carew
- 1850 - 1855 : Patrick Joseph Carew
- 1855 - 1859 : Marc-Thomas Olliffe
- 1858 - 1864 : Sede vacante (Auguste Goiran, Administrator)
- 1864 - 1865 : Augustus van Heule, S.J.
- 1865 - 1867 : Sede vacante (Honoré van der Stuyft, S.J., Administrator)
- 1867 - 1877 : Walter Herman Jacobus Steins, S.J.
- 1877 - 1886 : Paul François Marie Goethals, S.J.
- 1886 - 1901 : Paul François Marie Goethals, S.J.
- 1902 - 1924 : Brice Meuleman, S.J.
- 1924 - 1960 : Ferdinand Perier, S.J.
- 1960 - 1962 : Vivian Anthony Dyer
- 1962 - 1969 : Albert Vincent D'Souza
- 1969 - 1986 : Lawrence Trevor Cardinal Picachy, S.J.
- 1986 - 2002 : Henry Sebastian D'Souza
- 2002 - 2012 : Lucas Sirkar, S.D.B.
- 2012 - Pres : Thomas D'Souza
- Catholic Ecclesiastical Provinces in India
- Diocese of Calcutta of the Church of North India
- Roman Catholicism in India
- Archdiocese of Calcutta
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "Archdiocese of Calcutta". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.