Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Santiago de Guatemala
- There is also a Diocese of Guatemala (and a Bishop of Guatemala) in the Anglican Church in Central America.
|Archdiocese of Santiago de Guatemala|
Archidioecesis Sancti Iacobi in Guatemala
Arquidiócesis de Santiago de Guatemala
Primatial Metropolitan Cathedral of Santiago in Guatemala city.
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Guatemala City|
|Established||December 18, 1534|
|Cathedral||Primatial Metropolitan Cathedral of St. James|
|Patron saint||Assumption of Mary, Saint James the Greater|
|Archbishop||Raúl Martínez Paredes (Acting Regent)|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Gustavo Rodolfo Mendoza Hernández|
The last Metropolitan Archbishop of Guatemala wasOscar Julio Vian Morales, S.D.B., who died on February 24, 2018; he was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI on Monday, October 4, 2010 to replace Cardinal Rodolfo Quezada Toruno, who had reached the age of 75 at which bishops submit their resignations to the Pope. As the post of Metropolitan Archbishop of Guatemala is vacant due to his passing, the Acting Pro-Tempore Archdiocesan Regent Monsignor Raul Martinez Paredes. He fills the duties of the office of the Archbishop with certain limitations such as he cannot fulfill the duties of an Archbishop he can only act jointly with the aid of the Auxiliary Bishops in a council known as Archdiocesan Prefecture or Council Of Bishops to attend matters that requires an ipso facto decision of an Archbishop in issues that cannot be postponed and also the Council acts as an Archdiocesan Administrator in the Government of the Catholic Church in Guatemala.
It also has
- the former Cathedral, a World Heritage Site: Catedral de San José, Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez
- a Minor Basilica, National Shrine: Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
- other National Shrine: Iglesia de San Francisco el Grande, Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez
- further Shrines: Santuario Arquidiocesano del Señor San José, Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala and Santuario Expiatorio al Sagrado Corazón de Jesús, Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
- It was erected 18 December 1534, as the Diocese of Guatemala, on territory split off from the then Roman Catholic Diocese of Santo Domingo.
- On 1561.06.21 it lost territory to establish the Diocese of Vera Paz
- It was elevated to Metropolitan Archdiocese of Guatemala on 16 December 1743.
- It lost territory repeatedly : on 1842.09.28 to establish the then Roman Catholic Diocese of San Salvador, on 1921.07.27 to establish the then Roman Catholic Diocese of Quetzaltenango, Los Altos (now also a Metropolitan Archbishopric) and the then Apostolic Vicariate of Verapaz and Petén, on 1951.03.10 to establish the dioceses of Jalapa (its suffragan), Sololá and the Zacapa, on 1969.05.09 to establish Territorial Prelature of Escuintla and on 1996.04.27 to establish its suffragan Diocese of Santa Rosa de Lima.
- It enjoyed papal visits from Pope John Paul II in March 1983, February 1996 and July 2002.
- It was renamed on 23 April 2013 as Metropolitan Archdiocese of Santiago de Guatemala
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Escuintla
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Jalapa
- Roman Catholic Diocese of San Francisco de Asís de Jutiapa
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Santa Rosa de Lima
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Verapaz, Cobán
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Zacapa y Santo Cristo de Esquipulas.
(all Roman Rite) bios to be completed
Erected December 18, 1534
- Suffragan Bishops of Guatemala
- Francisco Marroquin Hurtado (1523–1563)
- Bernardino de Villalpando, C.R.S.A. (1564–1569)
- Pedro Gómez de Córdoba, O.S.H. (1574–1598)
- Juan Ramírez de Arellano, O.P. (1600–1609)
- Juan de las Cabezas Altamirano (1610–1615)
- Pedro de Valencia (1615–1617) Appointed, Bishop of La Paz
- Juan de Zapata y Sandoval, O.S.A. (1621–1630)
- Agustín de Ugarte y Sarabia (1630–1641)
- Bartolomé González Soltero (1641–1650)
- Juan Garcilaso de la Vega (1652–1657)
- Payo Enríquez de Rivera Manrique, O.S.A. (1657–1668)
- Juan de Sancto Mathía Sáenz de Mañozca y Murillo (1668–1675)
- Juan de Ortega Cano Montañez y Patiño (1675–1682)
- Andrés de las Navas y Quevedo, O. de M. (1682–1702)
- Mauro de Larreátegui y Colón, O.S.B. (1703–1711)
- Juan Bautista Alvarez de Toledo, O.F.M. (1713–1723)
- Nicolás Carlos Gómez de Cervantes y Velázquez de la Cadena (1723–1726)
- Juan Leandro Gómez de Parada Valdez y Mendoza (1728–1735)
- Pedro Pardo de Figueroa (1735–1751)
Elevated December 16, 1743
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Guatemala
- Pedro Pardo de Figueroa (1735–1751)
- Francisco José de Figueredo y Victoria (1752–1765)
- Pedro Cortés y Larraz (1766–1779)
- Cayetano Francos y Monroy (1778–1792)
- Juan Félix de Villegas (1793–1800)
- Luis Ignatius Peñalver y Cárdenas (1801–1805)
- Rafael de La Vara (1806–1809)
- Francisco Ramón Valentín de Casaus y Torres, O.P. (1815–1845)
- Francisco de Paul García Peláez (1845–1867)
- José Bernardo Piñol y Aycinena (1867–1881)
- Ricardo Casanova y Estrada (1886–1913)
- Julio Ramón Riveiro y Jacinto, O.P. (1914–1921)
- Luis Javier Muñoz y Capurón, S.J. (1921–1927)
- Luis Durou y Sure, C.M. (1928–1938)
- Mariano Rossell y Arellano (1939–1964)
- Mario Casariego y Acevedo, C.R.S. (1964–1983)
- Próspero Penados del Barrio (1983–2001)
- Rodolfo Quezada Toruño (2001–2010)
- Oscar Julio Vian Morales, S.D.B. (2010 – April 25, 2013 see below)
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Santiago de Guatemala
Name changed April 25, 2013
- Oscar Julio Vian Morales, S.D.B. (see above April 25, 2013 – February 24, 2018)
- Archbishop: Vacant (New Archbishop To Be Determined by Pope Francis)
- Vicar General: Raúl Martínez Paredes (Acting Pro-Tempore Archdiocesan Regent)
- Auxiliary Bishop : Gonzalo de Villa y Vásquez, S.J.
- Auxiliary Bishop : Gustavo Rodolfo Mendoza Hernández
- Auxiliary Bishop : José Ramiro Pellecer Samayoa
- Auxiliary Bishop : Mario Enrique Ríos Mont, C.M.
Until a new Archbishop of the Archdiocese Of Santiago de Guatemala is designated by Pope Francis, all Auxiliary Bishops of the Archdiocese Of Santiago de Guatemala acts as counsels to the Vicar General who momentarily is the Acting Pro-Tempore Archdiocesan Regent for those matters that require ipso facto an Archbishop decision or issues regarding the Archdiocesan Government of all the dioceses of Guatemala. By Canon Law all ordinations of priests and deacons can only be authorized and ordained by the Archbishop so until a new Archbishop is designated there can not be any ordination in process.
- "Metropolitan Archdiocese of Santiago de Guatemala" GCatholic.org. Gabriel Chow. Retrieved February 29, 2016
- "Archdiocese of Guatemala" Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved February 29, 2016
- Eubel, Konrad (1923). Hierarchia catholica medii et recentioris aevi. Vol. III (second ed.). Münster: Libreria Regensbergiana. p. 207. (in Latin)
- "Bishop Juan de las Cabezas Altamirano" Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved March 21, 2016
- "Bishop Pedro de Valencia" Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved March 21, 2016
- "Bishop Juan de Zapata y Sandoval, O.S.A." Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved March 21, 2016
- "Bishop Agustín de Ugarte y Sarabia " Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved March 21, 2016
- "Bishop Juan de Sancto Mathía Sáenz de Mañozca y Murillo" Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved March 21, 2016