Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth
|Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth
Coat of Arms of the Archdiocese of Halifax
|Territory||Central Nova Scotia|
|Ecclesiastical province||Nova Scotia|
|Metropolitan||Halifax, Nova Scotia|
|Area||21,770 km2 (8,410 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||February 15, 1842|
|Cathedral||St. Mary's Basilica, Halifax|
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth (Latin: Archidioecesis Halifaxiensis-Yarmuthensis) is a Roman Catholic archdiocese that includes part of the Province of Nova Scotia and includes the suffragan dioceses of Antigonish, and Charlottetown. Its current diocesan ordinary is Archbishop Anthony Mancini.
Originally a part of the Diocese of Quebec, the diocese of Halifax was established February 15, 1842 and included the whole of Nova Scotia. In 1844, the diocese was divided and in 1852, Halifax was elevated to an archdiocese. The Archdiocese of Halifax covers 21,770 square kilometers.
As of 2006, the archdiocese contained 53 parishes, 64 active diocesan priests, 16 religious priests, and 161,125 Catholics. It also had 243 Women Religious, 17 Religious Brothers, and 28 permanent deacons.
The following is a list of the bishops and archbishops of Halifax and their terms of service:
- William Fraser (1842–1844)
- William Walsh (1845–1858)
- Thomas Louis Connolly (1859–1876)
- Michael Hannan (1877–1882)
- Cornelius O'Brien (1882–1906)
- Edward Joseph McCarthy (1906–1931)
- Thomas O'Donnell (archbishop) (1931–1936)
- Henry James Neary (1933-1986) (oldest priest in the Archdiocese of Halifax)
- John Thomas McNally (1937–1952)
- Joseph Gerald Berry (1953–1967)
- James Martin Hayes (1967–1990)
- Austin-Emile Burke (1991–1998)
- Terrence Thomas Prendergast (1998–2007)
- Anthony Mancini (2007–present)
- Kevin Knight (2009). "Archdiocese of Halifax". NewAdvent.org. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- David Cheney (14 March 2011). Archdiocese of Halifax page at catholichierarchy.org "Archdiocese of Halifax". CatholicHierarchy.org. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- Diocese of Yarmouth joined with Archdiocese of Halifax
- "Archdiocese of Halifax". Catholic Encyclopedia. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
|This article about a Roman Catholic diocese in Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Nova Scotia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|