Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lahore
|Archdiocese of Lahore
لاہور کے میٹروپولیٹن
Sacred Heart Cathedral in Lahore
|Area||23,069 km2 (8,907 sq mi)|
|(as of 2004)
|Cathedral||Sacred Heart Cathedral, Lahore|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Sebastian Francis Shaw OFM|
On 1 September 1886 it was promoted and renamed after its see as Diocese of Lahore.
It lost vast territories repeatedly:
- on 6 July 1887 to establish the Apostolic Prefecture of Kafiristan and Kashmir
- on 13 September 1910 to establish the then Metropolitan Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Simla (now a suffragan of Delhi)
- on 17 December 1936 to establish the Apostolic Prefecture of Multan (now its suffragan diocese)
- on 17 January 1952 to establish the Apostolic Prefecture of Jalandhar and the Apostolic Prefecture of Kashmir and Jammu
On 7 April 2011 Archbishop Saldanha retired as Archbishop of Lahore.
On 18 December 2011, the archdiocese began celebrations to mark its 125th anniversary. Seventy-five priests and 200 catechists served then in 608 Mass centres in the archdiocese.
Apostolic Vicar of Punjab
Bishops of Lahore
- Symphorien Mouard, OFM Cap. (10 August 1888 – 14 July 1890)
- Emmanuel van den Bosch, OFM Cap. (21 November 1890 – 2 May 1892)
- Godefroid Pelckmans, OFM Cap. (2 June 1928 – 4 July 1946)
- Fabian Antoine Eestermans, OFM Cap. (11 April 1905 – 17 December 1925)
- Hector Catry, OFM Cap. (28 March 1928 – 4 July 1946)
- Marcel Roger Buyse, OFM Cap. (23 March 1967 – 10 July 1975)
- Felicissimus Raeymaeckers, OFM Cap. (12 March 1967 – 10 July 1975)
- Armando Trindade (10 July 1975 – 23 March 1994)
Archbishops of Lahore
- Armando Trindade (23 March 1994 – 31 July 2000)
- Lawrence Saldanha (24 April 2001 – 7 April 2011)
- Sebastian Francis Shaw, OFM (14 November 2013 – )
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Faisalabad
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Islamabad–Rawalpindi
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Multan
Lahore archdiocese had 511,226 Catholics, 30 diocesan priests, and 214 nuns, according to the 2001 Annuario Pontificio, the Vatican yearbook. The largest Catholic Archdiocese in Pakistan is divided into 26 parishes.
The country’s 1st National Eucharistic Congress was organised by the local Catholic Church 9–11 September 2005 at the Marian Shrine of Mariamabad, Lahore diocese. It drew 20,000 participants and attracted ample media coverage local and national. The national marian strine of Mariamabad is situated 90 km from Lahore. Every year it draws thousands of clergy, religious and laity, families, other Christians and Muslims. Mariamabad shrine was opened in 1949 by a Belgian Cappuchin Friar Frank who died a martyr.
Schools in the Diocese
There were 57,744 students in Catholic schools in the archdiocese - 33 primary schools and 59 high schools. Some of the schools are:
- St. Anthony's High School, Cantonment, Lahore
- St. Joseph's English High School, Gujranwala
- Convent of Jesus and Mary, Sialkot
- Presentation Convent School, Jhelum
- Convent of Jesus and Mary (Ambala Cantt)
- Sacred Heart High School for Boys
- Sacred Heart High School for Girls
- St. Anthony's Girls School, Sangla Hill
- St. Anthony's High School (Lahore), Lawrence Road
- St. Joseph's English High School
- St. Thomas’ High School, Jhelum
- Don Bosco Technical Institute, Lahore
- St. Paul’s High School, Gujranwala
- Don Bosco High School
- St. Anthony's High School, Faisal Town, Lahore
- St. Thomas’ School, Gulberg
- St. Mary's High School, Lahore.
- Franciscan Girls High School, Lahore
- St. Lawrence High School, Gulberg, Lahore
- St. Mary’s High School, Gujranwala
- "Archbishiop of Lahore". catholic-hierarchy.org.
- "Exclusive interview with Archbishop Lawrence Saldanha: Archbishop expresses concern at civilian casualties in Balochistan". Daily Times. 23 January 2006.
- "Agenzia Fides". 14 May 2004.
- "Charles urges inter-faith respect". BBC News. 2 November 2006.
- Vatican Radio 7/04/2011
- UCANews 19 December 2011
- Vatican Radio 3 July 2013
- "PM, CM, governor grace 150-year jubilee of St Joseph’s Church". Daily Times. November 1, 2003.
- "Three Day Communications Seminar" (PDF). signis.net. Archived from the original (PDF) on unknown. Check date values in:
- Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 58:318; 2008
- "Pope Names Former Communications Head New Archbishop of Lahore". UCANews.com. May 14, 2001.
- "United Nations tasks Faisalabad Caritas with repatriating Afghan refugees living in local diocese". AsiaNews.it. 29 October 2009.
- "Pontificia Universitàs Urbaniana". sfxs-pk.urbaniana.edu.
- "1st National Eucharistic Congress". fides.org.
- "Catholic Hierarchy". catholic-hierarchy.org.
- "Catholic channel broadcasts on cable TV". ucanews.com. 2009-06-22.
- "Diocesan Profile Series". UCANews.com.
- "Apostolic Carmel Nuns Mark Silver Jubilee of Service in Pakistan". UCANews.com. May 2, 2006.