Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore
Archidioecesis Madraspolitanus et Meliaporensis
|Ecclesiastical province||Madras and Mylapore|
|Area||3,160 km2 (1,220 sq mi)|
|(as of 2004)|
|Established||13 November 1952 (Papal Bull, ‘Ex Primaevae Ecclesiae’ by Pope Pius XII)|
|Cathedral||St. Thomas Cathedral Basilica, Santhome|
|Co-cathedral||St. Mary of the Angels Co-Cathedral, Georgetown|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||George Antonysamy|
|Emeritus Bishops||Malayappan Chinnappa (2005-2012)|
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore/Madras and Myliapor (Latin: Madraspolitan(us) et Meliaporen(sis)) is an archdiocese based in the city of Madras (now Chennai), in India. It took also the name of the ancient diocese of Mylapore, now a suburb of Chennai.
- 9 January 1606: erection of the diocese of Mylapore by pope Paul V by agreement with the king of Portugal who received power to appoint bishops and priests and, in a generall way, to look after the evangelization of the area (Padroado system and jurisdiction)
- 1642: Established as Apostolic Vicariate of Fort Saint George from the Diocese of São Tomé of Meliapore
- 1832: Renamed as Apostolic Vicariate of Madras
- 1 September 1886: Promoted as Metropolitan Archdiocese of Madras
- 10 October 1950: The Padroado system is cancelled. The Diocese of Mylapore comes under the jurisdiction of the 'Propaganda Fide'.
- 13 November 1952: Mylapore and Madras are merged into the renamed 'Metropolitan Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore' (Bull Ex primaevae ecclesiae of Pius XII).
- Archbishops of Madras and Mylapore (Latin Rite)
- Archbishop George Antonysamy (21 November 2012 – present); formerly, Apostolic Nuncio (Liberia, Gambia, & Sierra Leone)
- Archbishop Malayappan Chinnappa, S.D.B. (1 April 2005 – 21 November 2012)
- Archbishop James Masilamony Arul Das (11 May 1994 – 30 August 2004)
- Archbishop Casimir Gnanadickam, S.J. (26 January 1987 – 10 November 1993)
- Archbishop Anthony Rayappa Arulappa (1 February 1966 – 26 January 1987)
- Archbishop Louis Mathias, S.D.B. (13 November 1952 – 2 August 1965)
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Madras (Latin Rite)
- Vicars Apostolic of Madras (Roman Rite)
- "Rinuncia dell'arcivescovo di Madras and Mylapore (India) e nomina del successore" (in Italian). The Vatican. Archived from the original on 28 November 2012. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore.|