Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore|
Archidioecesis Madraspolitanus et Meliaporensis
|Ecclesiastical province||Madras and Mylapore|
|Area||3,160 km2 (1,220 sq mi)|
(as of 2004)|
|Established||13 November 1952 (Papal Bull, ‘Ex Primaevae Ecclesiae’ by Pope Pius XII)|
|Cathedral||St. Thomas Cathedral Basilica, Santhome|
|Co-cathedral||St. Mary of the Angels Co-Cathedral, Georgetown|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||George Antonysamy|
|Emeritus Bishops||Malayappan Chinnappa (2005-2012)|
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore/Madras and Myliapor (Latin: Madraspolitan(us) et Meliaporen(sis)) is an archdiocese based in the city of Madras (now Chennai), in India. It took also the name of the ancient diocese of Mylapore, now a suburb of Chennai.
- 9 January 1606: erection of the diocese of Mylapore by pope Paul V by agreement with the king of Portugal who received power to appoint bishops and priests and, in a generall way, to look after the evangelization of the area (Padroado system and jurisdiction)
- 1642: Established as Apostolic Vicariate of Fort Saint George from the Diocese of São Tomé of Meliapore
- 1832: Renamed as Apostolic Vicariate of Madras
- 1 September 1886: Promoted as Metropolitan Archdiocese of Madras
- 10 October 1950: The Padroado system is cancelled. The Diocese of Mylapore comes under the jurisdiction of the 'Propaganda Fide'.
- 13 November 1952: Mylapore and Madras are merged into the renamed 'Metropolitan Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore' (Bull Ex primaevae ecclesiae of Pius XII).
- Archbishops of Madras and Mylapore (Latin Rite)
- Archbishop George Antonysamy (21 November 2012 – present); formerly, Apostolic Nuncio (Liberia, Gambia, & Sierra Leone)
- Archbishop Malayappan Chinnappa, S.D.B. (1 April 2005 – 21 November 2012)
- Archbishop James Masilamony Arul Das (11 May 1994 – 30 August 2004)
- Archbishop Casimir Gnanadickam, S.J. (26 January 1987 – 10 November 1993)
- Archbishop Anthony Rayappa Arulappa (1 February 1966 – 26 January 1987)
- Archbishop Louis Mathias, S.D.B. (13 November 1952 – 2 August 1965)
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Madras (Latin Rite)
- Vicars Apostolic of Madras (Roman Rite)
- "Rinuncia dell'arcivescovo di Madras and Mylapore (India) e nomina del successore" (in Italian). The Vatican. Archived from the original on 28 November 2012. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Madras and Mylapore.|