Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Montreal
|Archdiocese of Montréal
Archidiocèse de Montréal
Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral
|Territory||Montréal and environs|
|Ecclesiastical province||Archdiocese of Montréal|
|Established||May 13, 1836|
|Cathedral||Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral|
|Patron saint||St. Mary|
|Archbishop||Archbishop of Montréal|
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Montréal (Latin: Archdioecesis Marianopolitana) is a Roman Catholic archdiocese that includes part of the Province of Quebec. The Archbishop of Montréal is Metropolitan of a province that includes the suffragan dioceses of Joliette, Saint-Jean-Longueuil, Saint-Jérôme, and Valleyfield.
The current cathedral of the Archdiocese of Montréal is the Cathedral Basilica of Mary, Queen of the World and St. James the Greater (Basilique cathédrale de Marie-Reine-du-Monde et de Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur), built in 1894.
Prior to that, the diocese had five cathedrals. (From 1821 to 1836, they were the seat of the auxiliary bishop of Quebec in Montréal.)
- Notre-Dame Church (ancestor of today's Notre-Dame Basilica), 1821–1822
- Chapel of the Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal, 1822–1825
- Cathédrale Saint-Jacques, 1825–1852 (destroyed by fire, now part of the Judith-Jasmin pavilion of UQAM)
- the chapel of the Asile de la Providence (corner of Sainte-Catherine and Saint-Hubert, site of the present Esplanade Émilie-Gamelin), 1852–1855
- a small chapel at the site of the present archdiocese building, 1855–1894
The following is a list of the bishops and archbishops of Montréal and their tenure of service:
- Bishop Jean-Jacques Lartigue (1821–1840) - as auxiliary Bishop of Quebec in Montréal (1821-1836), then Bishop of Montréal.
- Bishop Ignace Bourget (1840–1876)
- Archbishop Édouard-Charles Fabre (1876–1896) - as Archbishop of Montréal from 1886.
- Archbishop Paul Bruchési (1897–1939) 
- Archbishop Georges Gauthier (1939–1940)
- Archbishop Joseph Charbonneau (1940–1950) 
- Cardinal Paul-Émile Léger, Archbishop (1950–1968)
- Cardinal Paul Grégoire, Archbishop (1968–1990)
- Cardinal Jean-Claude Turcotte, Archbishop (1990–2012)
- Archbishop Christian Lépine (since 2012)
- "Cathédrale Marie-Reine-du-Monde: Historique". Cathédrale Marie-Reine-du-Monde Web site. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- Archdiocese of Montréal page at catholichierarchy.org retrieved July 13, 2006