Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Port of Spain
|Archdiocese of Port of Spain
Archidioecesis Portus Hispaniae
Cathedral of Port of Spain
|Country||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Ecclesiastical province||Port of Spain|
|Area||5,128 sq mi (13,280 km2)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||April 30, 1850 (166 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Port of Spain|
|Patron saint||Immaculate Conception|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Joseph Everard Harris|
|Vicar General||Monsignor Christian Pereira|
|Emeritus Bishops||Edward Joseph Gilbert Archbishop Emeritus|
|Website of the Archdiocese|
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Port of Spain (Latin: Archidioecesis Portus Hispaniae) is a metropolitan diocese of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church in the Caribbean. The Archdiocese encompasses the entirety of the former Spanish dependency of Trinidad, including the islands of Trinidad and Tobago. The Archdiocese is the Metropolitan responsible for the suffragan Dioceses of Bridgetown, Georgetown, Paramaribo and Willemstad, and is a member of the Antilles Episcopal Conference.
The diocese of Port of Spain was originally erected as a Vicariate Apostolic in 1818 and elevated to an Archdiocese in April 1830.
- James Buckley (1819–1828)
- Daniel McDonnell (1828–1844)
- Richard Patrick Smith (1844–1852)
- Vincent Spaccapietra (1855–1859)
- Ferdinand English (1860–1862)
- Joachim-Hyacinthe Gonin, O.P. (1863–1889)
- Patrick Vincent Flood, O.P. (1889–1907)
- John Pius Dowling, O.P. (1909–1940)
- Patrick Finbar Ryan, O.P. (1940–1966)
- Gordon Anthony Pantin, C.S.Sp. (1967–2000)
- Edward Joseph Gilbert, C.Ss.R. (2001–2011)
- Joseph Everard Harris, C.S.Sp (since 2011)
- The Archdiocese of Port of Spain official site
- "Archdiocese of Port of Spain". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2007-02-27.
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "Archdiocese of Port of Spain". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.
|This article about a Roman Catholic diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|