Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Samoa-Apia
|Archdiocese of Samoa–Apia
Puleaga Fa'aAkiepikopo Samoa–Apia
|Country||Independent State of Samoa|
|Area||2,922 km2 (1,128 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||20 August 1850 (166 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception|
|Archbishop||Alapati Lui Mataeliga|
Territory of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Samoa–Apia
In 1842, the Propaganda Fide created the Apostolic Vicariate of Central Oceania that included New Caledonia, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji Islands. This lost territory with establishment by canonical erection by the Holy See on August 20, 1850, of the Vicariate Apostolic of the Navigators' Archipelago, entrusted to the Society of Mary (Marists). On January 4, 1957, the Vatican changed the name of the Vicariate Apostolic to Samoa and the Tokelau Islands.
The vicariate apostolic was elevated to the Diocese of Apia on June 21, 1966, and made suffragan to the metropolitan see of Suva, Fiji. On August 10, 1974, the name of the diocese was changed to Diocese of Apia o Samoa and Tokelau; and it was changed again on December 3, 1975 to the Diocese of Samoa and Tokelau.
On September 10, 1982, the diocese was elevated to the dignity of an archdiocese taking the name of the See city, Apia. Simultaneously, the Diocese of Samoa–Pago Pago was created from a portion of the former Diocese of Samoa Tokelau and made suffragan to the metropolitan see of Apia.
- Pierre Bataillon S.M.(1842–1870)
- Aloys Elloy, S.M. (1870–1878)
- Jean-Armand Lamaze, S.M. (1879–1896)
- Pierre-Jean Broyer S. M. (1896–1918)
- Joseph Darnand S. M. (1919–1953)
- Jean Baptiste Dieter S. M. (1953–1955)
- George Hamilton Pearce S. M. (1956–1967)
- Pio Taofinu'u S. M. (1968–2002)
- Alapati Lui Mataeliga (2002– )
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of Samoa-Apia
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- Galuega O Le Sinoti (Acts of the Snyod [of the Archdiocese of Samoa-Apia]), December 7–14, 1990, promulgated, May 1, 1991, Feast of Saint Joseph the Worker. Apia, Samoa.
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Oceania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Samoa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|