Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Tuxtla
Archdiocese of Tuxtla
Arquidiócesis de Tuxtla
Rests of Saint Mark's Cathedral
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Tuxtla|
|Area||8,740 sq mi (22,600 km2)|
|(as of 2010)|
|Established||27 October 1964 (54 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Saint Mark's Cathedral|
|Bishop||Fabio Martinez Castilla|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Domingo Díaz Martínez|
|Auxiliary Bishops||José Mendoza Corzo|
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Tuxtla (Latin: Archidioecesis Tuxtlensis) is a Metropolitan Archdiocese based in Tuxtla, Chiapas, Mexico. It is responsible for the suffragan dioceses of Tapachula and Las Casas. Benedict XVI elevated it to the level of archdiocese on 25 November 2006.
Masses in Tzotzil and Tzeltal languages
In 2013, Pope Francis approved translations of the prayers for Mass and the celebration of sacraments into Tzotzil and Tzeltal. The translations include "the prayers used for Mass, marriage, baptisms, confirmations, confessions, ordinations and the anointing of the sick Bishop Arizmendi said Oct. 6 that the texts, which took approximately eight years to translate, would be used in his diocese and the neighboring Archdiocese of Tuxtla. Mass has been celebrated in the diocese in recent years with the assistance of translators—except during homilies—Bishop Arizmendi said in an article in the newspaper La Jornada.
- José Trinidad Sepúlveda Ruiz-Velasco (1965–1988)
- Felipe Aguirre Franco (1988–2000)
- José Luis Chávez Botello (2001–2003)
- Rogelio Cabrera López (2004–2012)
- Fabio Martinez Castilla (2013–present); formerly Bishop, Roman Catholic Diocese of Ciudad Lázaro Cárdenas
- Catholic News Service. "In Chiapas, Mayans get Mass, sacraments in two of their languages". Catholic Sentinel. Portland, OR. Retrieved 2013-10-24.
.arquidiocesisdetuxtla .blogspot .mx Official Blog at Blogger (in Spanish)
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Mexico is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|