Archdiocese of Zamboanga
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Archdiocese of Zamboanga
Arquidiocesis de Zamboanga (Chavacano)
Arkidiyosesis ng Zamboanga (Filipino)
|Territory||Zamboanga City, Zamboanga Sibugay, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi|
|Area||1,638 km2 (632 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||April 10, 1910 (as diocese)|
|Cathedral||Immaculate Conception Metropolitan Cathedral|
|Patron saint||Nuestra Seňora del Pilar|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Romulo T. Dela Cruz|
|Suffragans||Apostolic Vicariate of Jolo/Diocese of Jolo
Diocese of Ipil
Territorial Prelature of Isabela
|Emeritus Bishops||Carmelo Dominador Flores Morelos Archbishop Emeritus (1994-2006)|
Jurisdiction of the metropolitan see within the Philippines.
|Website of the Archdiocese|
The Archdiocese of Zamboanga (Latin name: Archdiocesis Zamboangensis) is a Catholic archdiocese in the Philippines. Its present jurisdiction includes Zamboanga City, with suffragans in Basilan (Territorial Prelature of Isabela, Basilan), Sulu Archipelago (Apostolic Vicariate of Jolo/Diocese of Jolo) and Zamboanga Sibugay (Diocese of Ipil). It became Mindanao's first diocese in 1910, and was established as the second archdiocese of Mindanao in 1958. Today the archdiocese covers a land area of 1,648 square kilometers and has a population of 442,345, of which 81 per cent are Catholics. The archdiocese includes 26 parishes, served by 49 diocesan and 18 religious priests. There are also 51 religious sisters working in the archdiocese.
- 1 History
- 2 Suffragan Diocese and Territorial Prelature
- 3 List of Bishops and Archbishops
- 4 Parishes under the Archdiocese of Zamboanga
- 5 Office and Residence
- 6 Religious Congregations in the Archdiocese of Zamboanga
- 7 Schools and Institutions
- 8 Facts and Information
- 9 See also
- 10 References
From 1607 to 1910 the entire island of Mindanao was under the Diocese of Cebu and Jaro. On April 10, 1910, Pope Pius X created the Diocese of Zamboanga and gave it jurisdiction over the whole island of Mindanao, including the adjacent islands of the Sulu Archipelago and the island of Cagayan de Sulu.
The Catholic faith was brought to Zamboanga by Jesuit missionaries Melchor de Vera and Alejandro Lopez in 1635. The efforts of the Spanish authorities to subdue the Muslims resulted in reprisal raids in Zamboanga and the Visayan Islands. In 1636 Fort Pilar, in honor of Our Lady of the Pillar, was constructed by priest-engineer Fr. de Vera. Jesuit Frs. Francesco Palliola and Alejandro Lopez died as martyrs in their efforts to win the tribespeople through diplomacy. The establishment of Fort Pilar gave birth to the future city of Zamboanga.
On January 20, 1933, Pope Pius XI divided Mindanao into two areas. Southern Mindanao including the Sulu Archipelago became under the jurisdiction of Zamboanga. Northern Mindanao became under the Diocese of Cagayan de Oro. In 1951 Cagayan de Oro became an archdiocese, the first in the island of Mindanao. All episcopal jurisdictions in Mindanao and Sulu, including Zamboanga, became suffragans of this archdiocese.
The Diocese of Zamboanga was further divided when the Prelature Nullius of Davao was established and separated in 1949; the Prelature of Cotabato in 1950; the Prelature of Isabela, Basilan, in 1963, and the Prelature of Ipil in 1979.
Zamboanga was established an archdiocese on May 15, 1958 by Pope Pius XII. As an ecclesiastical province, the Archdiocese of Zamboanga included Zamboanga City and had as suffragans the Prelature of Ipil in Zamboanga Sibugay, the Prelature of Isabela in Basilan and the Apostolic Vicariate of Jolo. Its titular patroneses is Our Lady of the Pillar, and its secondary patron is St. Pius X.
The Second Plenary Council of the Philippines adopted the Community of Disciples as the prime model of the Church, with focus on being a Church of the Poor. The challenge for the archdiocese in Zamboanga is to incarnate the vision of PCP II.
An Archdiocesan Pastoral Assembly was held early in 1995, formalizing preparations for the Second Archdiocesan Pastoral Assembly of Zamboanga in 1996.
Among the Catholic institutions in the Archdiocese of Zamboanga are 2 colleges, 6 secondary schools, 6 elementary schools, and 8 kindergarten schools. Charitable and social institutions include a leprosarium, 5 free clinics, 1 orphanage and 1 child center.
In 2010 the Zamboanga archdiocese celebrated the 100th anniversary of its establishment as the first diocese in Mindanao with a commemorative mass on April 12, 2010. The 50th or golden anniversary of its establishment as an archdiocese (1958-2008) was part of this celebration.
Suffragan Diocese and Territorial Prelature
List of Bishops and Archbishops
The Diocese of Zamboanga (1910-1958)
- Charles Warren Currier (June 25, 1910-did not take effect)
- Michael James O'Doherty (1911-1916)
- James Paul McCloskey (1917-1920)
- José Clos y Pagés, S.J. (1920-1931)
- Luis Del Rosario, S.J. (1933-1958)
The Archdiocese of Zamboanga (1958-present)
- Luis del Rosario, S.J. (1958-1966)
- Lino Gonzaga y Rasdesales (1966-1973)
- Francisco Raval Cruces (1973-1994)
- Carmelo Dominador Flores Morelos (1994-2006)
- Romulo Valles (2006-2012)
- Romulo dela Cruz (2014-Present)
Parishes under the Archdiocese of Zamboanga
The Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception
|Metropolitan Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception||La Purisima Street, Zamboanga City||1816||Pope Pius X||December 8||Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception|
|Saint Joseph Chinese Community Parish||Nuñez Ext. Street , Zamboanga City||1954||Saint Joseph||March 19||Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception|
|St. Ignatius de Loyola||Fr. Barua Street,Tetuan, Zamboanga City||1863||St. Ignatius de Loyola||July 31||Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception|
|Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage||Tugbungan, Zamboanga City||1987||Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage||Last Saturday of May||Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception|
|St. Isidore the Laborer||Talon-Talon, Zamboanga City||1992||St. Isidore the Laborer||May 15||Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception|
|Holy Family (Holy Family)||Mampang, Zamboanga City||2016||Holy Family (Holy Family)||December 30||Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception|
|St. Anthony of Padua||MCLL, Putik, Zamboanga City||1991||St. Anthony of Padua||June 11||Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception|
|Divine Mercy Parish||MCLL, Divisoria, Zamboanga City||2005||Divine Mercy Parish||Sunday after Easter||Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception|
|Our Mother of Perpetual Help||Guiwan, Zamboanga City||1997||Our Mother of Perpetual Help||June 25||Vicariate of the Immaculate Conception|
|Our Lady of Mount Carmel||Ayala, Zamboanga City||1871||Our Lady of Mount Carmel||July 16||Vicariate of Our Lady of Mount Carmel|
|Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal||Labuan, Zamboanga City||1988||Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal||November 27||Vicariate of Our Lady of Mount Carmel|
|Transfiguration Parish||Sinunuc, Zamboanga City||2016||Transfiguration of the Lord||August 6||Vicariate of Our Lady of Mount Carmel|
|Our Lady of Purification||Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City||1935||Our Lady of Purification||February 2||Vicariate of Our Lady of Mount Carmel|
|Holy Trinity||Pasonanca, Zamboanga City||1992||Holy Trinity||Sunday following the Pentecost||Vicariate of Our Lady of Mount Carmel|
|Our Lady of Manaoag Parish||Tumaga, Zamboanga City||1997||Our Lady of the Holy Rosary of Manaoag||First Saturday of May||Vicariate of Our Lady of Mount Carmel|
|St. Anthony Mary Claret||Canelar, Zamboanga City||1980||St. Anthony Mary Claret||October 24||Vicariate of Our Lady of Mount Carmel|
|Our Lady of Peñafrancia||Southcom Village, Zamboanga City||1992||Our Lady of Peñafrancia||September 18||Vicariate of Our Lady of Mount Carmel|
|St. Pio of Pietrelcina||Cabatangan, Zamboanga City||2017||St. Pio of Pietrelcina||September 23||Vicariate of Our Lady of Mount Carmel|
|Our Lady of Ransom||Mercedes, Zamboanga City||1891||Our Lady of Ransom||September 24||Vicariate of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary|
|Our Lady of the Assumption||Culianan, Zamboanga City||1993||Our Lady of the Assumption||August 15||Vicariate of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary|
|Our Lady of Fatima||Manicahan, Zamboanga City||1967||Our Lady of Fatima||May 13||Vicariate of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary|
|St. Joseph the Worker||Sangali, Zamboanga City||1992||St. Joseph the Worker||May 1||Vicariate of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary|
|Our Lady of Lourdes||Bunguiao, Zamboanga City||1993||Our Lady of Lourdes||February 11||Vicariate of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary|
|Our Lady of the Holy Rosary||Bolong, Zamboanga City||1974||Our Lady of the Holy Rosary||Second Sunday of October||Vicariate of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary|
|St. Stanislaus Kostka||Curuan, Zamboanga City||1984||St. Stanislaus Kostka||November 13||Vicariate of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary|
|Our Lady of the Pillar||Vitali, Zamboanga City||1963||Our Lady of the Pillar||October 12||Vicariate of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary|
Office and Residence
- Archbishop's Palace, Sacred Heart Center, R.T. Lim Boulevard, Zamboanga City
- Archdiocesan Chancery and Plenary Hall (Centro Pastoral), Gov. Camins Avenue, Zamboanga City
Religious Congregations in the Archdiocese of Zamboanga
- Handmaids of the Divine Heart [Spinola Sisters] (ADC)
- Religious of the Virgin Mary
- Daughters of Saint Paul (FSP)
- Living The Gospel Community (LGC)
- Missionary Sisters of St. Anthony Mary Claret (MC)
- Mercedarian Missionaries of Berriz (MMB)
- Missionary Sisters of the Queen of the Apostles (SRA)
- Oblates of Notre Dame (OND)
- Missionary Dominican Sisters of the Rosary (OP)
- Benedictine Sisters of the Eucharistic King (OSB)
- Religious of Mary Immaculate Claretian Missionary Sisters (RMICM)
- Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception (SFIC)
- Order of the Blessed Virgin of Mt. Carmel (OCD) (Discalced Carmelites-Contemplatives)
Schools and Institutions
- Ateneo de Zamboanga University (SJ)- La Purisima St., Zamboanga City
- ADZU High School- Tumaga-Lunzuran Road, Tumaga, Zamboanga City
- Saint Joseph School (Archdiocesan)- Gov. Camins Ave., Zamboanga City
- Pilar College (RVM)- Justice R.T. Lim Boulevard, Zamboanga City
- Immaculate Conception Archdiocesan School (Archdiocesan)- in front of St. Ignatius Parish, Tetuan, Zamboanga City
- Annex Campus- Natividad Road, Tetuan, Zamboanga City
- Immaculate Conception Archdiocesan School (ICAS) de Calarian (formerly Western Immaculate Conception Archdiocesan School), San Jose-Limpapa National Highway, Upper Calarian, Zamboanga City
- Eastern Immaculate Conception Archdiocesan School (EICAS), Ma. Clara L. Lobregat Highway, Sangali, Zamboanga City
- Mercedarian Kindergarten School (Mercedarians)- Mercedarian Compound, Santa Maria, Zamboanga City
- Claret School of Zamboanga City (Claretians)- San Jose Road, Canelar, Zamboanga City
Icas de Mercedes (Kindergarten School)
Facts and Information
- The city's primary patroness is Our Lady of the Pillar, whose shrine is located at the old Fort Pilar. Her feast day is October 12, the city's official holiday.
- Bishop Michael O'Doherty was the first bishop of the diocese in 1910 until he was appointed Archbishop of Manila in 1916.
- Romulo T. dela Cruz, DD, the newly appointed archbishop of Zamboanga, has the same name and designation as his predecessor. He succeeded Romulo G. Valles, DD as the bishop of Diocese of Kidapawan when the latter was appointed as the Archbishop of Zamboanga. The same happened when Dela Cruz was appointed as archbishop after serving Kidapawan for 6 years.