Roman Catholic Diocese of Alexandria in Louisiana
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- See Diocese of Alexandria for namesakes
Diocese of Alexandria in Louisiana
Dioecesis Alexandrina in Louisiana
|Country||United States of America|
|Territory||Parishes of Avoyelles, Rapides, Vernon, Natchitoches, Winn, Caldwell, Madison, Franklin, Tensas, Concordia, Catahoula Parish, Lasalle, Grant|
|Ecclesiastical province||Archdiocese of New Orleans|
|Area||28,780 sq mi (74,500 km2)|
|(as of 2012)|
|Cathedral||St. Francis Xavier Cathedral|
|Patron saint||St. Francis Xavier|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Gregory Michael Aymond|
Its cathedral episcopal see is St. Francis Xavier Cathedral in Alexandria, Louisiana. It also has a former Cathedral and Minor Basilica: the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, in Natchitoches, Louisiana.
The current Bishop of Alexandria is David Talley.
Statistics and extent
As per 2014, it pastorally served 42,929 Catholics (11.2% of 383,421 total) on 27,810 km² in 50 parishes with 71 priests (61 diocesan, 10 religious), 19 deacons, 43 lay religious (14 brothers, 29 sisters) and 10 seminarians.
It encompasses the civil parishes (Louisiana counties) of Avoyelles, Rapides, Vernon, Natchitoches, Winn, Caldwell, Madison, Franklin, Tensas, Concordia, Cathoula, Lasalle and Grant.
The bishopric was established on August 6, 1910 as the Diocese of Alexandria, named after its new see Alexandria, Louisiana, on the territory of the suppressed Diocese of Natchitoches (founded in 1853). The first Bishop of was Augustus Marie Martin.
On October 18, 1976, it was renamed the Diocese of Alexandria-Shreveport.
Bishops of Natchitoches
- Augustus Marie Martin (1853-1875)
- Francis Xavier Leray (1876-1879), appointed Coadjutor Archbishop and later Archbishop of New Orleans
- Anthony Durier (1884-1904)
- Cornelius Van de Ven (1904-1910)
Bishops of Alexandria
- Cornelius Van de Ven (1910-1932)
- Daniel Francis Desmond (1932-1945)
- Charles Pasquale Greco (1946-1973)
- Lawrence Preston Joseph Graves (1973-1976)
Bishops of Alexandria-Shreveport
- Lawrence Preston Joseph Graves (1976-1982)
- William Benedict Friend (1982-1986), appointed Bishop of Shreveport
Suffragan Bishops of Alexandria
- John C. Favalora (1986-1989), appointed Bishop of Saint Petersburg and later Archbishop of Miami
- Sam G. Jacobs (1989-2003), appointed Bishop of Houma–Thibodaux
- Ronald Paul Herzog (2004-2017)
- David Talley (2017-present)
- David Talley (2016-2017)
Catholic High schools
- Holy Savior Menard Central High School, Alexandria
- St. Joseph High School, Plaucheville
- St. Mary's High School, Natchitoches
- namesake Roman Catholic Diocese of Alexandria-Cornwall in Ontario, Canada
- List of Catholic dioceses in the United States
- GCatholic, with Google map and satellite photo - data for most sections
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Alexandria Official Site