Roman Catholic Diocese of Alexandria in Louisiana
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Diocese of Alexandria in Louisiana
Dioecesis Alexandrina in Louisiana
|Territory||Parishes of Avoyelles, Rapides, Vernon, Natchitoches, Winn, Caldwell, Madison, Franklin, Tensas, Concordia, Catahoula Parish, Lasalle, Grant|
|Ecclesiastical province||Archdiocese of New Orleans|
|Area||28,780 sq mi (74,500 km2)|
|(as of 2012)
|Cathedral||St. Francis Xavier Cathedral|
|Patron saint||St. Francis Xavier|
|Bishop||Ronald Paul Herzog
Bishop of Alexandria in Louisiana
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Gregory Michael Aymond
Archbishop of New Orleans
The Diocese of Alexandria is the Roman Catholic diocese for central Louisiana, based in Alexandria, with its see at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral. It encompasses the parishes, or counties, of Avoyelles, Rapides, Vernon, Natchitoches, Winn, Caldwell, Madison, Franklin, Tensas, Concordia, Cathoula, Lasalle, and Grant.
The current Bishop of the Diocese is Ronald Paul Herzog, who was appointed to office on November 4, 2004 and formally installed on January 5, 2005. Prior to becoming Bishop, he had been a priest of the Biloxi, Mississippi diocese since 1977. On September 21, 2016 Pope Francis named Atlanta Auxiliary Bishop David Talley as Coadjutor Bishop of Alexandria.
The corporate title of the diocese is The Diocese of Alexandria. The Latin title of the diocese is Dioecesis Alexandrina in Louisiana.
In 1910, the name of the Diocese changed to the Diocese of Alexandria (Alexandrinus).
In 1976, the name of the Diocese changed again to the Diocese of Alexandria-Shreveport (Alexandrinus-Shreveportuensis). It was known by this name until the summer of 1986, when the northern Louisiana portion of the territory was separated to form the new Diocese of Shreveport. Once again, the diocese was known as the Diocese of Alexandria.
Ordinaries of the Diocese
The list of the bishops of the diocese and their years of service:
- Augustus Marie Martin (1853–1875), Deceased
- Francis Xavier Leray (1876–1879), Reassigned as Coadjutor Archbishop of New Orleans
- Anthony Durier (1884–1904), Deceased
- Cornelius Van de Ven (1904–1932), Deceased
- Daniel Francis Desmond (1932–1945),His Deceased
- Charles Pasquale Greco (1946–1973), Retired
- Lawrence Preston Joseph Graves (1973–1982), Resigned
- William Benedict Friend (1982–1986), Reassigned as Bishop of Shreveport, Louisiana
- John Clement Favalora (1986–1989), Reassigned as Bishop of Saint Petersburg
- Sam Gallip Jacobs (1989–2003), Reassigned as Bishop of Houma-Thibodaux, Louisiana
- Ronald Paul Herzog (2004–Present)
- Holy Savior Menard Central High School, Alexandria
- St. Joseph High School, Plaucheville
- St. Mary's High School, Natchitoches
- "Bishop David Talley named coadjutor for Diocese of Alexandria". Diocese of Alexandria. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- "Diocese of Alexandria". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. 23 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-20.