Roman Catholic Diocese of Arlington
|Diocese of Arlington
|Territory||Counties of Arlington, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Frederick, King George, Lancaster, Loudoun, Madison, Northumberland, Orange, Page, Prince William, Rappahannock, Richmond, Shenandoah, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Warren and Westmoreland; Cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Manassas Park, and Winchester in northeastern Virginia|
|Area||6,541 sq mi (16,940 km2)|
|(as of 2013)
|Established||May 28, 1974|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of Saint Thomas More|
|Patron saint||St. Thomas More|
|Bishop||Most Rev. Michael F. Burbidge|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Most Rev. William E. Lori|
|Emeritus Bishops||Most Rev. Paul S. Loverde|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Arlington (Latin: Dioecesis Arlingtonensis) is a diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the mid-atlantic United States. The Diocese of Arlington comprises 69 parishes located in the 21 northern-most counties within the Commonwealth of Virginia, including the Northern Virginia counties of Arlington, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Frederick, King George, Lancaster, Loudoun, Madison, Northumberland, Orange, Page, Prince William, Rappahannock, Richmond, Shenandoah, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Warren and Westmoreland, and cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Manassas Park, and Winchester. Bishop Michael F. Burbidge is the ordinary of the Diocese of Arlington since December 2016; his residence is on the grounds of the Cathedral of Saint Thomas More in Arlington County, Virginia. In 2013, there were 256 priests and 453,916 registered Catholics in the Diocese of Arlington. The total population within the Diocese of Arlington, Catholic and non-Catholic, was 2,968,486.
The Diocese of Arlington also operates two mission churches for the Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana in the Dominican Republic—Bánica Mission Parish (St. Francis of Assisi Church) and Pedro Santana Mission Parish, which are overseen by the diocesan Office of the Propagation of the Faith. The Director of the Propagation of the Faith in the Diocese of Arlington is currently Fr. Patrick L. Posey, who also serves as Pastor of St. James Church in Falls Church.
- 1 Bishops
- 2 Catholic colleges and universities
- 3 Catholic high schools
- 4 Parishes
- 4.1 Alexandria
- 4.2 Arlington
- 4.3 Clarke
- 4.4 Culpeper
- 4.5 Fairfax County, City of Fairfax, and Falls Church
- 4.6 Fauquier
- 4.7 Frederick and Winchester
- 4.8 King George
- 4.9 Lancaster and Northumberland
- 4.10 Loudoun
- 4.11 Madison
- 4.12 Orange
- 4.13 Page
- 4.14 Prince William, Manassas, and Manassas Park
- 4.15 Rappahannock
- 4.16 Richmond, and Westmoreland
- 4.17 Shenandoah
- 4.18 Spotsylvania, and Fredericksburg
- 4.19 Stafford
- 4.20 Warren
- 5 Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington
- 6 See also
- 7 Notes
- 8 Sources
- 9 External links
The founding bishop of the diocese, Thomas Jerome Welsh, was installed on August 13, 1974. Bishop Welsh served until February 8, 1983, when he was transferred by Pope John Paul II to become bishop of the Diocese of Allentown, Pennsylvania. Welsh was previously auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and rector of St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania.
The second bishop of the diocese, John Richard Keating, was ordained as Bishop of Arlington on August 4, 1983, and served until his death March 22, 1998. Bishop Keating was previously Vicar General and Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Chicago, Illinois.
Catholic colleges and universities
Catholic high schools
- Bishop Denis J. O'Connell High School, Arlington
- Bishop Ireton High School, Alexandria
- Paul VI Catholic High School, Fairfax
- Saint John Paul the Great Catholic High School, Dumfries
As listed in the Official Parish Locator for the Diocese of Arlington:
- Blessed Sacrament, Alexandria
- Good Shepherd, Alexandria
- Queen of Apostles, Alexandria
- St. Joseph, Alexandria
- St. Lawrence the Martyr, Alexandria†
- St. Louis, Alexandria
- St. Mary, Alexandria
- St. Rita, Alexandria†
- Cathedral of St. Thomas More
- Holy Martyrs of Vietnam, Arlington
- Our Lady of Lourdes, Arlington
- Our Lady Queen of Peace, Arlington
- Sacred Heart of Mary, Marymount University, Arlington
- St. Agnes, Arlington
- St. Ann, Arlington
- St. Charles Borromeo, Arlington
- St. Bridget of Ireland, Berryville
- Precious Blood, Culpeper
- Holy Spirit, Annandale†
- Nativity, Burke
- Our Lady of Good Counsel, Vienna
- St. Ambrose, Annandale
- St. Andrew the Apostle, Clifton
- St. Anthony, Falls Church
- St. Bernadette, Springfield
- St. Catherine of Siena, Great Falls
- St. Clare of Assisi, Clifton
- St. James, Falls Church
- St. John the Beloved, McLean†
- St. John Neumann, Reston
- St. John the Apostle, Leesburg†
- St. Joseph, Herndon
- St. Leo the Great, Fairfax
- St. Luke, McLean
- St. Mark, Vienna
- St. Mary of Sorrows, Fairfax
- St. Michael, Annandale†
- St. Paul Chung, Fairfax
- St. Philip, Falls Church
- St. Raymond of Penafort, Fairfax Station†
- St. Robert Bellamine, George Mason University, Fairfax
- St. Thomas a Becket, Reston
- St. Timothy, Chantilly
- St. Veronica, Chantilly
- St. John the Evangelist, Warrenton†
Frederick and Winchester
- Sacred Heart of Jesus, Winchester
- St. Anthony of Padua, King George†
Lancaster and Northumberland
- St. Francis de Sales, Kilmarnock
- Corpus Christi, South Riding
- Christ the Redeemer, Sterling
- Our Lady of Hope, Potomac Falls†
- St. Francis de Sales, Purcellville
- St. Stephen the Martyr, Middleburg
- St. Theresa, Ashburn
- Our Lady of the Blue Ridge, Madison
- St. Isidore the Farmer, Orange
- Our Lady of the Valley, Luray
Prince William, Manassas, and Manassas Park
- All Saints, Manassas
- Holy Family, Dale City
- Holy Trinity, Gainesville†
- Our Lady of Angels, Woodbridge
- Sacred Heart, Manassas
- St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Lake Ridge†
- St. Francis of Assisi, Triangle
- St. Peter, Washington
Richmond, and Westmoreland
- St. Elizabeth, Colonial Beach
- St. Paul, Hague
- Our Lady of the Shenandoah, Basye
- St. John Bosco, Woodstock
Spotsylvania, and Fredericksburg
- St. Jude, Fredericksburg†
- St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception, Fredericksburg
- St. Matthew, Spotsylvania
- St. Patrick, Fredericksburg
- St. William of York, Stafford
- †.^ Parish practices the Extraordinary Form.
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington
The Diocese co-ordinates and supports a range of charitable activities focused on assistance to the vulnerable, fund-raising and education. Initiatives include counselling, prison visits and foster care.  Archduchess Kathleen of Habsbourg-Lorraine is a former communications director of the CCDA. 
- Historical list of the Catholic bishops of the United States
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- 2014 Catholic Diocese of Arlington Directory p. iv.
- Andreassi, Anthony D. (2002). Walking in Faith: the first 25 Years. A History of the Diocese of Arlington, Editions du Signe: Strasbourg. ISBN 2-7468-0625-8 (This is an official history—see p. 3.)
- About Us; Did You Know...; Fast Facts Official Diocesan Website. Accessed November 2013.
- 2014 Catholic Diocese of Arlington Directory pp. 12, 63.
- Andreassi, p. 5.
- "Diocese of Arlington" catholic-hierarchy.org. Accessed November 5, 2013.
- Andreassi, p. 33.
- Andreassi, p. 37.
- Andreassi, p. 39.
- Andreassi, p. 43.
- 2014 Catholic Diocese of Arlington Directory. p. v.
- "Catholic Diocese of Arlington Parish Locator". Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, Alexandria Virginia". Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "The Cathedral of Saint Thomas More". Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church". Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "All Saints Catholic Church - Manassas Virginia". Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington". CCDA.
- "An Archduchess Among Us". Northern Kentucky University.
- Andreassi, Anthony D. (2002). Walking in Faith: the first 25 Years. A History of the Diocese of Arlington, Editions du Signe: Strasbourg. ISBN 2-7468-0625-8.
- 2014 Catholic Diocese of Arlington Directory
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Arlington Official Site
- The Catholic Herald - the official newspaper of the Catholic Diocese of Arlington
- The Official Website of the Cathedral of St. Thomas More
- Catholic Hierarchy Profile of the Diocese of Arlington