Roman Catholic Diocese of Banjul
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Diocese of Banjul
|Metropolitan||Immediately subject to the Holy See|
|Area||10,403 km2 (4,017 sq mi)|
|(as of 2006)
|Cathedral||Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption|
|Bishop||Bishop-elect Gabriel Mendy, C.S.Sp.|
|Emeritus Bishops||Robert Patrick Ellison, C.S.Sp.
Michael Joseph Cleary, C.S.Sp.
- January 18, 1848: Father Ronarc'h and Father Warlop, Holy Ghost Fathers, arrive in Banjul
- January 18, 1849: Ronarc'h and Warlop establish the mission of Sainte Marie de Gambie
- May 6, 1931: Established as Mission “sui iuris” of Gambia from the Apostolic Vicariate of Senegambia
- March 8, 1951: Promoted as the Apostolic Prefecture of Bathurst in Gambia
- June 24, 1957: Promoted as Diocese of Bathurst in Gambia
- May 9, 1974: Renamed as Diocese of Banjul
- Bishops of Banjul (Roman rite)
- Bishops of Bathurst in Gambia (Roman Rite)
- Bishop Michael Joseph Moloney, C.S.Sp. (June 24, 1957 – May 9, 1974)
- Prefects Apostolic of Bathurst in Gambia (Roman Rite)
- Fr. Michael Joseph Moloney, C.S.Sp. (later Bishop) (1951 – June 24, 1957)
- Ecclesiastical Superiors of Gambia (Roman Rite)
- "Missionnaires Spiritains, Anniversaires, Janvier". Congrégation du Saint-Esprit en France. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Delcourt, Jean (1976). Histoire religieuse du Sénégal. Dakar: Éditions Clairafrique. pp. 37–38.
|This Gambia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Africa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|