Roman Catholic Diocese of Biloxi
Diocese of Biloxi
|Territory||Southern Mississippi (17 counties)|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Mobile|
|Area||24,992 km2 (9,649 sq mi)|
- Catholics (including non-members)
|(as of 2012)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||March 1, 1977|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary|
|Patron saint||St. Joseph the Worker|
St. Martin de Porres
|Bishop||Louis Frederick Kihneman|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Archbishop Thomas J. Rodi|
The Diocese of Biloxi is a Latin Church ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Catholic Church that encompasses 17 counties in south Mississippi. It was erected on March 1, 1977, when it was split from the Roman Catholic Diocese of Jackson. The Diocese of Biloxi is a suffragan diocese the ecclesiastical province of the metropolitan Archdiocese of Mobile, though for its first three years the diocese was in the province of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.
The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in Biloxi, Mississippi, is the diocese's cathedral.
On December 16, 2016, the Vatican announced that Pope Francis had accepted Bishop Roger Morin's resignation and appointed Louis Kihneman III, Vicar General of the Diocese of Corpus Christi, Texas, as Morin's successor.
Bishops of Biloxi
- Joseph Lawson Howze (1977–2001)
- Thomas John Rodi (2001–2008), appointed Archbishop of Mobile
- Roger Morin (2009–2016)
- Louis Frederick Kihneman (2017–present)
Other priest of this diocese who became bishop
- Ronald Paul Herzog, appointed Bishop of Alexandria in 2004
- Our Lady Academy, Bay St. Louis
- Resurrection High School, Pascagoula
- Sacred Heart High School, Hattiesburg
- St. Patrick Catholic High School, Biloxi
- Saint Stanislaus College, Bay St. Louis
- * Closed in 2007 and replaced by St. Patrick Catholic High School.
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church hierarchy
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- Diocese of Biloxi page on Catholic Hierarchy web site.
- Diocese of Mobile page on Catholic Hierarchy web site.
- "Pope Names Texas Priest as New Bishop of Biloxi, Accepts Resignation of Bishop Roger Morin | USCCB". www.usccb.org. Retrieved May 30, 2021.