Roman Catholic Diocese of Calgary
|Diocese of Calgary|
St Mary's Cathedral
|Cathedral||St. Mary's Cathedral|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Calgary (Latin: Dioecesis Calgariensis) is a diocese that includes the Calgary Region, all of southern Alberta and the extreme lower half of the Alberta's Rockies region. It is currently led by Bishop Frederick Henry. It is a suffragan diocese for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton.
The diocese contains 82+ parishes and missions specifically: 37 parishes in Calgary alone; of which, 10 are ethnic parishes, an additional university parish to serve the University of Calgary and 45+ parishes and missions designated for southern Alberta and the rockies lower region.
In 2006: 87 Diocesan priests, 38 Religious priests 427,200 Catholics. 110 Women Religious, 48 Religious Brothers and 30 permanent deacons make up the spiritual work force in Calgary not including the other regions.
Rural Parishes and Missions
The following is a list of the bishops of Calgary, and their terms of service:
- John Thomas McNally (1913-1924)
- John Thomas Kidd (1925-1931)
- Peter Joseph Monahan (1932-1935)
- Francis Patrick Carroll (1935-1966)
- Joseph Lawrence Wilhelm (auxiliary bishop) (1963-1966)
- Francis Joseph Klein (1967-1968)
- Paul John O'Byrne (1968-1998)
- Frederick Henry (1998–present)
- Diocese of Calgary page at catholichierarchy.org retrieved July 14, 2006