Roman Catholic Diocese of Caroline Islands
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Diocese of Caroline Islands
|Country||Federated States of Micronesia
Republic of Palau
|Area||480 sq mi (1,200 km2)|
|(as of 2006)
|Established||19 December 1905 (110 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Immaculate Heart of Mary Cathedral|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Caroline Islands (Latin: Dioecesis Carolinensium) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the Federated States of Micronesia and in the Republic of Palau. It is a suffragan diocese of the Ecclesiastical Province of Agaña. The Diocese of Caroline Islands is led by a bishop who pastors the mother church, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
The diocese was established on 19 December 1905, as the Apostolic Prefecture (missionary jurisdiction) of Caroline Islands, uniting the Mission sui iuris of Eastern Carolines and Mission sui iuris of Western Carolines, both of which had been split from the Apostolic Prefecture of Micronesia in 1886.
It became the Apostolic Vicariate (higher missionary stage jurisdiction, entitled to a titular bishop) of Marianne and Caroline Islands on 1 March 1911. It grew to become the Apostolic Vicariate of Marianne, Caroline and Marshall Islands on 4 May 1923. It changed its name to become the Apostolic Vicariate of Caroline and Marshall Islands on 4 July 1946.
It was elevated to become the Diocese Carolines-Marshalls by promotion on 3 May 1979.
- Salvador-Pierre Walleser (1912–1919)
- Vacant (1920–1922)
- Santiago López de Rego y Labarta S.J. (1923–1938)
- Vacant (1939–1951)
- Thomas John Feeney S.J. (1951-1955)
- Vincent Ignatius Kennally S.J. (1956–1971)
- Martin Joseph Neylon S.J. (1971–1995)
- Amando Samo (1995 - )
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- List of Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- Ecclesiastical Province of Agaña
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States