Roman Catholic Diocese of Christchurch
The Latin Rite Roman Catholic Diocese of Christchurch is a suffragan diocese of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Wellington. Its cathedral and see city are located in Christchurch, the largest city in the South Island of New Zealand. It was formed on 5 May 1887 from a portion of the territory of the Diocese of Wellington, which was elevated to archdiocese later that same month.
Ordinaries of Christchurch
|1887 to 1915||John Joseph Grimes S.M.||1842–1915|
|1915 to 1943||Matthew Joseph Brodie||1871–1943|
|1944 to 1950||Patrick Francis Lyons||1903–1967|
|1950 to 1964||Edward Michael Joyce||1904–1964|
|1964 to 1985||Brian Patrick Ashby||1923–1988|
|1985 to 1987||Denis William Hanrahan||1933–1987|
|1987 to 1995||John Basil Meeking||born 1929|
|1995 to 2007||John Jerome Cunneen||1932–2010|
|2007 to 2016||Barry Jones||1941–2016|
- John Basil Meeking, Bishop Emeritus of Christchurch.
Cathedral and churches
St Mary's Catholic Church in Hokitika belongs to the diocese. Following a structural assessment triggered by the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake, the church was closed to the public in June 2012.
For 57 years, the diocese was responsible for sending priests to the non-denominational Christian Chapel of the Snows at McMurdo Station on Ross Island, Antarctica, the second southernmost religious building in the world. This practice was stopped in 2015.
- Catholic Cathedral College, Christchurch
- John Paul II High School, Greymouth
- Marian College, Shirley, Christchurch
- Roncalli College, Timaru
- St Bede's College, Papanui, Christchurch
- St Thomas of Canterbury College, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch
- Villa Maria College, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch
- Holy Cross Seminary
- Holy Name Seminary
- Father Bernard O'Brien SJ
- Roman Catholicism in New Zealand
- List of New Zealand Catholic bishops
- "Catholic bishop of Christchurch Barry Jones dies". Stuff.co.nz. 13 February 2016. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- "Dioceses". The Catholic Church in Aotearoa New Zealand. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- Mussen, Deidre (19 June 2012). "Engineers to look at Hokitika's historic church". The Press. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Catholic priests to leave Antarctica because of decline in church-going". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic Diocese of Christchurch.|
- Catholic Diocese of Christchurch
- "Diocese of Christchurch". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2007-01-07.
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Oceania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|