Roman Catholic Diocese of Florida
|Diocese of Florida
Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Thirty-Three
|Area||22,600 km2 (8,700 sq mi)|
|(as of 2006)
|Established||14 April 1897 (121 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Catedral Basílica Santuario de la Virgen de los Treinta y Tres|
|Bishop||Martín Pablo Pérez Scremini|
|Emeritus Bishops||Raúl Horacio Scarrone Carrero|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Florida (Latin: Dioecesis Floridensis) is a suffragan diocese of the Latin Rite in the ecclesiastical province (covering all Uruguay) of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Montevideo of the Roman Catholic church in southern Uruguay.
The current bishop, Martín Pablo Pérez Scremini, was appointed in March 2008.
- Established on 1931.08.11 as Diocese of Florida–Melo / Floriden(sis)–Melen(sis) (Latin), on territory split off from the suppressed Diocese of Melo (which was erected in 1897 on territory split off from the then Diocese of Montevideo)
- Renamed on 1955.11.15 as Diocese of Florida / Floriden(sis) (Latin), having lost territory to (re)establish a Diocese of Melo.
- Lost territory on 1960.10.22 to establish the Diocese of Tacuarembó.
- Enjoyed a Papal visit by Pope John Paul II in May 1988.
As per 2014, it pastorally served 91,500 Catholics (74.7% of 122,500 total) on 22,600 km² in 17 parishes and 72 missions with 29 priests (9 diocesan, 20 religious), 5 deacons, 70 lay religious (22 brothers, 48 sisters) and 1 seminarian.
(all Roman Rite)
- Suffragan Bishop of Florida–Melo
- Miguel Paternain, Redemptorists (C.Ss.R.) (20 April 1929 – 15 November 1955 see below), previously Bishop of mother see Melo (Uruguay) (1929.04.20 – 1931.08.11)
- Suffragan Bishops of Florida
- Miguel Paternain, Redemptorists (C.Ss.R.) (see above 15 November 1955 – retired 27 February 1960), emeritate first as Titular Bishop of Mades (1960.02.27 – 1960.09.21), then 'promoted' Titular Archbishop of Acrida (1960.09.21 – death 1970.10.19)
- Humberto Tonna Zanotta (5 July 1960 – retired 16 June 1987), also President of Episcopal Conference of Uruguay (1975 – 1979); died 1994
- Raúl Horacio Scarrone Carrero (15 June 1987 – retired 15 March 2008), also President of Episcopal Conference of Uruguay (1991 – 1994 & 1997 – 2000); previously Titular Bishop of Ulpiana (1982.10.13 – 1987.06.15) as Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Montevideo (Uruguay) (1982.10.13 – 1987.06.15)
- Martín Pablo Pérez Scremini (15 March 2008 – ...), previously Titular Bishop of Vazari (2004.03.06 – 2008.03.15) as Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Montevideo (Uruguay) (2004.03.06 – 2008.03.15).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic Diocese of Florida.|
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Uruguay is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|