Roman Catholic Diocese of Cheju
Diocese of Jeju
|Area||1,847 km2 (713 sq mi)|
|(as of 2006)|
|Established||28 June 1971 (48 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Immaculate Conception Cathedral, Jeju City|
|Bishop||Peter Woo-il Kang|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Hyginus Kim Hee Jong|
|Bishops emeritus||Paul Chang-ryul Kim|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Cheju (제주, also romanized Jeju, Latin: Dioecesis Cheiuensis) is a Latin rite suffragan diocese in the ecclesiastical province of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Gwangju, South Korea, yet depends on the missionary Roman Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples. Its episcopal see and mother church is Immaculate Conception Cathedral in Jeju City.
- It was created on 28 June 1971 by Pope Paul VI as Apostolic Prefecture of Jeju 제주 / Cheju / 濟州 (正體中文) / Cheiuen(sis) (Latin), exempt, on territory split off from its (then future) Metropolitan, the Archdiocese of Gwangju 광주)
- The episcopal see was elevated on 21 March 1977, also by Pope Paul VI to Diocese of Jeju 제주 / Cheju / 濟州 (正體中文) / Cheiuen(sis) (Latin).
As per 2014, it pastorally served 71,845 Catholics (11.9% of 604,670 total) on 1,849 km² in 27 parishes with 51 priests (44 diocesan, 7 religious), 1 deacon, 110 lay religious (7 brothers, 103 sisters) and 17 seminarians.
(all Roman Rite)
- Apostolic Prefecture of Jeju 제주
- Apostolic Administrator Harold Hyun = Harold William Henry (현 하롤드), Columban Missionaries (S.S.C.M.E.) (born USA) (1971.06.28 – death 1976.03.01), Titular Archbishop of Thubunæ in Numidia (1971.06.28 – 1976.03.01); previously Apostolic Administrator sede plena of Apostolic Vicariate of Gwangju 광주 (South Korea) (1950.07 – 1957.01.26), Titular Bishop of Corydala (1957.01.26 – 1962.03.10) as last Apostolic Vicar of Gwangju 광주 (1957.01.26 – 1962.03.10), (see) promoted first as Metropolitan Archbishop of Archdiocese of Gwangju 광주 (South Korea) (1962.03.10 – retired 1971.06.28)
- Suffragan Bishops of Jeju 제주
- Michael Jung-il Park = Michael Pak Jeong-il (1977.04.15 – 1982.06.08), next Bishop of Jeonju 전주 (South Korea) (1982.06.08 – 1988.12.15), Bishop of Masan 마산 (South Korea) (1988.12.15 – retired 2002.11.11), President of Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Korea (1999 – 2002
- Paul Chang-ryul Kim = Paul Kim Tchang-ryeol (1983.11.11 – retired 2002.07.20)
- Peter Woo-il Kang = Peter Kang U-il (2002.07.20 – ...), President of Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Korea (2008.10.16 – 2014.10.30); previously Titular Bishop of Balecium (1985.12.21 – 2002.07.20) as Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Seoul 서울 (South Korea) (1985.12.21 – 2002.07.20), Bishop of Jeju 제주 (South Korea) (2002.07.20 – ...)
- "Diocese of Jeju". Giga Catholic. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Asia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|