Roman Catholic Diocese of Kansas City–Saint Joseph
|Diocese of Kansas City–Saint Joseph
Dioecesis Kansanopolitanae–Sancti Josephi
|Territory||Northern & Western Missouri|
|Ecclesiastical province||St. Louis|
|Area||15,429 km2 (5,957 sq mi)|
|(as of 2012)
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||September 10, 1880|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (Kansas City)|
|Co-cathedral||Cathedral of St. Joseph (St. Joseph)|
|Patron saint||Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception|
|Bishop||James Vann Johnston, Jr.|
|Emeritus Bishops||Robert Finn|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Kansas City–Saint Joseph (Latin: Dioecesis Kansanopolitanae–Sancti Josephi) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the state of Missouri in the United States. The current bishop is James Vann Johnson, Jr.. It is a suffragan see of the Archdiocese of Saint Louis. The see city for the diocese is Kansas City, Missouri. The cathedral parish is Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and its co-cathedral is the Cathedral of St. Joseph in St. Joseph, Missouri.
On September 10, 1880, Pope Leo XIII established the Diocese of Kansas City, with territories taken from the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Its first bishop was John Joseph Hogan. On July 2, 1956, the diocese incorporated part of the territory of the Diocese of Saint Joseph, which had been established by Pope Pius IX on March 3, 1868. On the same date in 1956 part of the Diocese of Kansas City's territory went to establish the Diocese of Jefferson City and the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau. The diocese received its present name and boundaries at that time.
Child Abuse Scandal
In September 2012, bishop Robert Finn was convicted of criminally protecting another Catholic priest, Rev. Shawn Ratigan, who was found guilty of possession and production of child pornography. The bishop was informed by a diocesan principal of several allegations against Ratigan by a group of teachers at the parish. In late 2010, a computer technician and a deacon informed the diocese of several incriminating photos on Ratigan's laptop. Catholic canon law and federal law both mandate that the diocese report any allegations of sexual abuse, but Finn sought psychiatric treatment for Ratigan instead. In February, Finn imposed seven restrictions on Ratigan. including the instruction to "avoid all contact with children". In March, however, it was reported to Finn of Ratigan's presence at six-year-old girl's birthday party, and Finn disclosed the existence of the photographs to police. In October, both the diocese and Finn were indicted for failure to report sexual abuse, a misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of one-year imprisonment or a $1,000 fine.
The lists of bishops of the diocese and their years of service:
- John Joseph Hogan (1880–1913)
- Thomas Francis Lillis (1913–1938)
- Edwin Vincent O'Hara (1939–1956)
- John Patrick Cody (1956–1961)
- Charles Herman Helmsing (1962–1977)
- John Joseph Sullivan (1977–1993)
- Raymond James Boland (1993–2005)
- Robert William Finn (2005–2015)
- James Vann Johnston, Jr. (2015–present)
- John J. Glennon (1896-1903)
- Archbishop O'Hara High School, Kansas City (established in 1965)
- Bishop LeBlond High School, St. Joseph (since 1960)
- Cristo Rey Kansas City High School, Kansas City (since 2006)
- Notre Dame de Sion, Kansas City (since 1912)
- Rockhurst High School, Kansas City (since 1910)
- St. Mary's High School, Independence (established 1853; closed as of 2013)
- Saint Pius X Catholic High School, Kansas City (since 1956)
- St. Teresa's Academy, Kansas City (since 1866)
- St. Michael the Archangel High School, Lee's Summit (opening in 2017)
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of Saint Louis
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "Diocese of Kansas City-Saint Joseph". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Diocese of Kansas City-Saint Joseph". GCatholic.org. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- Robertson, Joe (January 24, 2013). "St. Mary’s High School closing earlier than expected". The Kansas City Star. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "Construction set to begin, high school should open in 2017 | The Catholic Key". Retrieved 2016-01-31.