Roman Catholic Diocese of Krk
|Diocese of Krk
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Rijeka|
|Area||1,119 km2 (432 sq mi)|
|(as of 2013)
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Krk|
|Patron saint||Saint Quirinus of Sescia|
Ivica Petanjak, O.F.M. Cap.Bishop of Krk
Ivan DevčićArchbishop of Rijeka
|Emeritus Bishops||Valter Župan|
The Diocese of Krk (Croatian: Krčka biskupija; Latin: Dioecesis Veglensis) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church active on the Croatian islands of Krk, Rab, Cres and Lošinj, as well as a few smaller ones and also a mission serving the Croatian people of New York: Blessed Ivan Merz in Astoria NY under the Brooklyn Diocese. The diocese is centred in the town of Krk. It was first erected in 900.
Under bishop Antun Mahnić (1896-1920) the Altslawi academy was established in 1902, and existed until 1927.
The Diocese of Krk was known historically as Veglia, its Italian name. In the year 1000 it had a bishop, Vitalis, who was present at a synod in Spoleto. Pope Eugene III made it a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Zara; for a period from 1828 it was under the Archdiocese of Görz. Bartholomaus Bozarich was present at the assembly of bishops in 1849 and his successor was a member of the First Vatican Council.
Ossero and Veglia were united in 1818. The Diocese of Ossero (Lusin, Absor, Auxerensis), with its see at Osor, was older; Pope John VIII wrote to its bishop in 870. The fifty-fifth bishop, Raccamarich, was transferred to the Diocese of Cattaro in 1818.
The See of Arbe or Rab was even older. Its first known bishop attended a council at Salona in 530. The fifty-eight bishop, Galzigna (d. in 1823), was also the last, as his diocese was then merged into that of Veglia.
- Ivan Antun Sintić (1792-1837)
- Bartol Bozanić (1839-1854),
- Ivan Josip Vitezić (1854-1877)
- Franjo Anijan Feretić (1880-1893)
- Andrija Marija Sterk (1894-1896)
- Antun Mahnić (1896-1920)
- Josip Srebrnić (1923-1966)
- Karmelo Zazinović (1961-1989)
- Josip Bozanić (1989-1997)
- Valter Župan (1998-2015)
- Ivica Petanjak (2015-)
- Daniele Farlati, Illyrici sacri, V (Venice, 1775); Veglia, 294-316, 639-47; Ossero, 182-223; Arbe, 223-294;
- Augustin Theiner, Monumenta Slavorum meridionalium, hist. illustr. (Rome, 1863), 46, 79 sq., 107 sq., 112, 122, 163, 323, 422 sq., 432 sq., 519 sq., 575, 581, 613 sq.;
- Mon. Hung. Rom., I (1859): Veglia, 425, 110, 112, 195, 220 sq., 323, 539 sq., Absor, 573, Arbe, 247, 281 sq.
- Catholic Encyclopedia article Diocese of Veglia
- "Diocese of Arbe (Rab)". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 21 January 2015.