Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Diocese of Metuchen
The coat of arms of the Diocese of Metuchen
|Territory||Counties of Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren, New Jersey|
|Ecclesiastical province||Metropolitan Province of Newark|
|Area||3,688 km2 (1,424 sq mi)|
|(as of 2013)|
|Established||November 19, 1981|
|Cathedral||Saint Francis of Assisi Cathedral|
|Bishop||James F. Checchio|
Bishop of Metuchen
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Joseph Tobin|
Archbishop of Newark
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen (Latin: Dioecesis Metuchenis) is a Roman Catholic diocese in New Jersey, centered in the borough of Metuchen. It was erected on November 19, 1981, from the territory of the Diocese of Trenton. The diocese encompasses the New Jersey counties of Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren. The Bishop of Metuchen presides from the Saint Francis of Assisi Cathedral in Metuchen.
The diocese counts more than 600,000 Catholics within its purview, distributed across more than one hundred parishes, serviced by 160 priests residing in the diocese, with 100 non-resident priests and 150 deacons assisting. Six hundred religious serve the schools and various organizations throughout the diocese.
This section needs expansion with: additional history for the diocese from 1981–present. You can help by adding to it. (March 2015)
The following is the list of bishops of the diocese and their years of service:
- Theodore Edgar McCarrick (1981-1986), appointed Archbishop of Newark and later Archbishop of Washington (Cardinal from 2001-2018), laicized/defrocked 2019. 
- Edward Thomas Hughes (1986-1997)
- Vincent DePaul Breen (1997-2002)
- Paul Gregory Bootkoski (2002-2016)
- James Francis Checchio (2016-present)
- Bishop George Ahr High School, Edison
- Immaculata High School, Somerville
- Mount St. Mary Academy, Watchung
- St. Joseph High School, Metuchen (independent)
Closed high schools
- St. Pius X High School, Piscataway (closed 1990)
- St. Peter the Apostle High School, New Brunswick (closed 2007)
- Cardinal McCarrick High School, South Amboy (closed 2015)
Elementary and junior high schools
- Saint Augustine of Canterbury, Kendall Park - 2016 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence
- Saint Bartholomew's School, East Brunswick
- Holy Savior Academy, South Plainfield
- Saint Ambrose School, Old Bridge
- Saint Francis Cathedral School, Metuchen - 2017 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence
Saint Matthias School, Somerset, NJ
A member of the Saint Peter's Healthcare System
The official coat of arms is blazoned with Quarterly, Or and Argent, in dexter chief a tongue of fire Gules; in sinister base the letter "M" Azure, crowned Argent; overall a cross Moline Azure. The cross is taken from the arms of the See of Trenton from which the diocese was formed; the tongue of fire refers both to "metachen," Lenni Lenape for firewood, and the descent of the Holy Spirit; the crowned M refers to the Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the diocesan patron, founding bishop Theodore McCarrick's arms, and Pope John Paul II's arms. Its four quarters represent the four counties comprising the diocese.
Sex Abuse Investigation
On September 26, 2018, it was announced the Diocese of Metuchen was now one of four American Diocese subject to a sex abuse investigation by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Former Cardinal and Metuchen Bishop Theodore McCarrick served in each Diocese under investigation. On February 13, 2019, all of the Catholic Dioceses based in New Jersey released the names of clergy who had been credibly accused of sexually abusing children since 1940. Of the 188 listed, 11 were based in the Diocese of Metuchen. Archbishop Cardinal Joseph Tobin of Newark, who also leads the Ecclesiastical province where the Diocese of Metuchen is based, also acknowledged that the alleged acts of abuse committed by the clergy listed were reported to law enforcement agencies.
- List of the Catholic cathedrals of the United States
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- Plenary Councils of Baltimore
- Roman Catholicism in the United States
- Catholicism and American politics
- History of Roman Catholicism in the United States
- Vatican News,Pope Francis accepts resignation of Cardinal McCarrick "Pope Francis on Saturday accepted the resignation of Cardinal Theodore McCarrick...from the cardinalate."
- "Rinunce e nomine, 08.03.2016". Bollettino (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. March 8, 2016. Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- "Saint Peter's Healthcare System | Saint Peter's University Hospital". Saintpetershcs.com. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen Official Site
- Synodal home page
- New Jersey Provincial Directory website