Roman Catholic Diocese of Salina
Diocese of Salina
|Territory||31 counties in North Central and Northwest Kansas|
|Ecclesiastical province||Kansas City in Kansas|
|Area||26,685 sq mi (69,110 km2)|
|(as of 2010)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||August 2, 1887 as the Diocese of Concordia; December 23, 1944 as the Diocese of Salina|
|Cathedral||Sacred Heart Cathedral|
|Patron saint||Our Lady of Perpetual Help|
|Bishop||Gerald Lee Vincke|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Joseph Fred Naumann|
Archbishop of Kansas City in Kansas
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Salina (Latin: Dioecesis Salinensis) is a Roman Catholic diocese covering thirty-one counties in Kansas. The episcopal see is in Salina, Kansas. It was founded as the Diocese of Concordia on August 2, 1887, and on December 23, 1944, was renamed Diocese of Salina.
Pope Benedict XVI named Monsignor Edward Joseph Weisenburger as the 11th Bishop of the Diocese of Salina on February 6, 2012. Bishop-elect Weisenberger was installed on May 1, 2012.. Bishop Weisenberger left office as Salina's Bishop on November 29, 2017, after being appointed by Pope Francis to head the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson, replacing the retiring Catholic Bishop of Tucson, Gerald F. Kicanas.
On Wednesday, June 13, 2018, Pope Francis named the Reverend Monsignor Gerald Lee Vincke (born 1964), a priest of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lansing (based in Lansing, Michigan), who until then had been the parish priest (pastor) of the Holy Family Parish, in Grand Blanc, Michigan, as Bishop-elect of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Salina, to succeed Bishop Weisenberger. He was installed as Bishop on August 22, 2018.
On September 28, 2018, the Archdiocese of Washington announced that disgraced former cardinal Theodore McCarrick would reside at St. Fidelis Church in Victoria, Kansas. Vincke agreed to the arrangement despite acknowledging it would be "offensive and hurtful to many people."
Bishop of Concordia
- Richard Scannell (1887–1891), appointed Bishop of Omaha
- Thaddeus J. Butler (1897) (died before consecration)
- John F. Cunningham (1898–1919)
- Francis Joseph Tief (1920–1938)
Bishop of Salina
- Francis Augustine Thill (1938-1957)
- Frederick William Freking (1957-1964), appointed Bishop of La Crosse
- Cyril John Vogel (1965-1979)
- Daniel Kucera (1980-1983), appointed Archbishop of Dubuque
- George Kinzie Fitzsimons (1984-2004)
- Paul Stagg Coakley (2004-2010), appointed Archbishop of Oklahoma City
- Edward Joseph Weisenburger (2012–2017), appointed Bishop of Tucson
- Gerald Lee Vincke (2018-present)
- Sacred Heart High School, Salina
- St. John's Catholic High School, Beloit
- St. Xavier High School, Junction City
- Thomas More Prep-Marian, Hays
- Tipton Catholic High School, Tipton
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church hierarchy
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "Diocese of Salina". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Google Translate". translate.google.com.
- "Pope Appoints Oklahoma City Vicar General Bishop Of Salina". www.usccb.org.
- Gordon Fielder, Jr., "New Catholic Diocese bishop ordained," Salina Journal, online at http://www.saljournal.com/news/story/Bishop-Weisenburger
- "Statement on Archbishop Theodore McCarrick's Residence - Archdiocese of Washington". Archdiocese of Washington. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- "Catholic Diocese of Salina". salinadiocese.org. Retrieved 2018-10-01.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Salina Official Site
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. .