Roman Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015)|
|Diocese of Salt Lake City
Dioecesis Civitatis Lacus Salsi
|Territory||State of Utah|
|Area||84,990 sq mi (220,100 km2)|
|(as of 2014)
291,000  (10%)
|Established||January 27, 1891|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Madeleine|
|Patron saint||St. Mary Magdalene
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Salvatore J. Cordileone|
|Diocese of Salt Lake Site|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City, officially, in Latin, Dioecesis Civitatis Lacus Salsi, is a diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the United States. It comprises the entire state of Utah. Also known as the Utah Catholic Church or the See of Salt Lake City, its mother church is the Cathedral of the Madeleine in Salt Lake City. The see is currently vacant (sede vacante) as of April 27, 2015, when Pope Francis appointed Bishop John Charles Wester, the Diocese's ninth bishop, as Metropolitan Archbishop-elect of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Santa Fe, based in Santa Fe, New Mexico, succeeding the retiring Archbishop Michael Jarboe Sheehan, 75.
Salt Lake City is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of San Francisco, along with the dioceses of Honolulu, Las Vegas, Oakland, Reno, Sacramento, San Jose, Santa Rosa and Stockton. The Metropolitan is Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone.
In 1871 Fr. Patrick Walsh built the first Catholic Church in Utah, dedicating it to St. Mary Magdalene. Father (later Bishop) Lawrence Scanlan arrived in 1873 to become pastor. He took care of the Catholic military men, immigrant miners and railroad workers who numbered in the hundreds. Small churches, schools, an orphanage and a hospital were built, staffed by clergy and by the Sisters of the Holy Cross, to serve the growing Catholic population. As the nineteenth century came to a close, the Catholic community in Salt Lake City was rapidly outgrowing the small church of St. Mary Magdalene. The Church in Utah became an Apostolic Vicariate in 1887, and a Diocese in 1891. Bishop Lawrence Scanlan was the first Catholic bishop of Utah. Ground was broken for the new church in 1899. Construction for the Cathedral of the Madeleine would last nearly a decade, costing a small fortune for the estimated 3,000 Catholics in Utah at the turn of the century. Assistance was obtained from Catholic Mission Societies.
The following are the lists of bishops and auxiliary bishops of the diocese and their dates of service.
- Lawrence Scanlan † (November 23, 1886 - May 10, 1915 deceased)
- Joseph Sarsfield Glass † (June 1, 1915 - January 26, 1926 deceased)
- John Joseph Mitty † (June 21, 1926 - January 29, 1932 appointed Coadjutor Archbishop of the Archdiocese of San Francisco)
- James Edward Kearney † (July 1, 1932 - July 31, 1937 appointed Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester)
- Duane Garrison Hunt † (August 6, 1937 - March 31, 1960 deceased)
- Joseph Lennox Federal † (March 31, 1960 - April 22, 1980 retired)
- William Kenneth Weigand (September 9, 1980 - November 30, 1993 appointed Bishop of the Diocese of Sacramento)
- George Hugh Niederauer (November 3, 1994 - December 15, 2005 appointed Archbishop of the Archdiocese of San Francisco)
- John Charles Wester (January 8, 2007 - April 27, 2015 appointed Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe)
- Leo John Steck † (1948 - 1950)
- Juan Diego Catholic High School, Draper
- Judge Memorial Catholic High School, Salt Lake City
- St. Joseph Catholic High School, Ogden
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of San Francisco
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "Diocese of Salt Lake City". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. 1 April 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-19.[self-published source]
- "History of the Diocese". Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City - Official Site
- Intermountain Catholic - newspaper of the Diocese of Salt Lake City
- Map of the Diocese of Salt Lake City
- Archdiocese of San Francisco - official site
- "Diocese of Salt Lake". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.