Roman Catholic Diocese of San Cristóbal de La Laguna
|Diocese of San Cristóbal de La Laguna
Dioecesis Sancti Christophori de Laguna or Dioecesis Nivariensis
Diócesis de San Cristóbal de La Laguna or Diócesis de Tenerife
|Area||3,381 km2 (1,305 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||1 February 1819|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of San Cristóbal de La Laguna|
|Bishop||Bernardo Álvarez Afonso|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Juan Asenjo Pelegrina|
|Website of the Diocese|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of San Cristóbal de La Laguna (Latin: Sancti Christophori de Laguna) also called; Diocese of Tenerife or Diocese Nivariense is a diocese located in the city of San Cristóbal de La Laguna in the Canary Islands in the Ecclesiastical province of Sevilla in Spain. The diocese includes the islands of Tenerife, La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro, in the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The patron saints of the diocese is the Virgen de los Remedios and Saint Christopher. The patron of the Canary Islands is the Virgin of Candelaria, whose shrine belongs to this diocese. The bishop of this diocese is Bernardo Álvarez Afonso.
- On 1 February 1819: The Diocese of San Cristobal de La Laguna separates of till then the unique diocese of the archipelago the Diocese of Canarias.
- 1875: is tried to join uselessly this diocese with the Diocese Canariense.
- 1877: D. Ildefonso Infante y Macías, he is nominated A Bishop of the Diocese Nivariense.
- 1964–1965: between October 1964 and January 1965, the Diocese of Tenerife conducted the largest pilgrimage took place in the history of the Canary Islands, the transfer of the image of the Virgin of Candelaria (Saint Patron of Canary Islands) for all municipalities and cities island of Tenerife.
- Between 1998 and 1999, the diocese held its first diocesan synod (Diocesan Synod Nivariense), focused primarily on understanding of Second Vatican Council, the entry into the third millennium of the birth of Christ with a spiritual renewal of the diocese and give the right answer profound social, political and cultural changes.
- 2006: On 23 January, a fire finished with the Palace of the family Salazar of Cold (Counts of Salazar's Valley) that up to the moment was sedate her episcopal. It was a building of the 17th century, though until the end of the 19h century it was not the bishop's residence. It was rebuilt in 2009.
|City where it is edited||San Cristóbal de La Laguna|
|Distribution area||Santa Cruz de Tenerife (province)|
|Web site||Diócesis de Tenerife|
Iglesia Nivariense (Church Nivariense) is a religious magazine published by the Diocese of Tenerife. The publication deals with the religious celebrations of the Canaries and related religious topics.
Also it publishes for other islands that shape the diocese: La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro. In the magazine there do not appear sections of politics, economy or sports. It is published especially to distribute it in the parishes and churches of the Diocese of Tenerife.
The slogan of this magazine is a "Publication of the Diocese of Tenerife".
- Cathedral of La Laguna, La Laguna, Tenerife.
- Basilica of Candelaria, Candelaria, Tenerife.
- Iglesia Matriz de la Concepción, La Laguna, Tenerife.
- Real Santuario del Santísimo Cristo de La Laguna, La Laguna, Tenerife.
- Real Santuario de Nuestra Señora de las Nieves, Santa Cruz de La Palma, La Palma.
- Iglesia Matriz de la Concepción, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Tenerife.
- Iglesia del Salvador, Santa Cruz de La Palma, La Palma.
- Iglesia de la Asunción, San Sebastián de La Gomera, La Gomera.
- Iglesia de la Concepción, Valverde, El Hierro.
- Antonio Folgueras Sión (24 Jun 1824 – 17 Jan 1848)
- Ildefonso Joaquín Infante y Macías, O.S.B. (20 Mar 1877 – 1882)
- Jacinto María Cervera y Cervera (27 Mar 1882 – 21 Jul 1885)
- Ramón Torrijos y Gómez (25 Nov 1887 – 21 May 1894)
- Nicolás Rey y Redondo (21 May 1894 Appointed – 5 Sep 1917)
- Gabriel Llompart y Jaume Santandreu (17 May 1918 – 27 Jun 1922)
- Albino González y Menédez Reigada, O.P. (18 Dec 1924 – 18 Feb 1946)
- Andrés A. Domingo Pérez Cáceres (28 Apr 1947 – 1 Aug 1961)
- Luis Franco Cascón, C.SS.R. (19 Feb 1962 – 18 Oct 1983)
- Damián Iguacén Borau (14 Aug 1984 – 12 Jun 1991)
- Felipe Fernández García (12 Jun 1991 – 29 Jun 2005)
- Bernardo Álvarez Afonso (began 29 June 2005)
Saints and Blesseds
- Peter of Saint Joseph Betancur (1626–1667), missionary in Guatemala and first and only saint of the Canary Islands.
- José de Anchieta (1534–1597), blessed and missionary in Brazil.
- María de León Bello y Delgado (1643–1731), nun and mystic, whose body remains incorrupt.
- Martyrs of Tazacorte (1570), monks and martyrs.
- Fray Juan de Jesús (1615–1687), franciscan friar.
- Sor María de San Antonio Lorenzo y Fuentes (1665–1741), Dominican nun.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic Diocese of San Cristóbal de La Laguna.|