Roman Catholic Diocese of Taungngu
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Diocese of Taungngu|
|Area||49,600 km2 (19,200 sq mi)|
(as of 2010)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
19 July 1870 (As Vicariate Apostolic of Eastern Burma)|
27 April 1927 (As Vicariate Apostolic of Toungoo)
1 January 1955 (As Diocese of Toungoo)
31 July 1996 (As Diocese of Taungngu)
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Taungoo|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Matthias U Shwe|
Erected in 1870, the diocese has the distinction of being one of the oldest in all of Burma. Originally established as the Apostolic Vicariate of Eastern Burma, in 1927 the Vicariate was subdivided, and the Apostolic Prefecture of Kentung established. The Prefecture would eventually become the Diocese of Kengtung. At the same time, the old Vicariate was renamed the Apostolic Vicariate of Toungoo.
In 1955, the Vicariate was elevated to a full diocese. In 1961, the diocese would be again subdivided, and the diocese of Taunggyi, the future Archdiocese of Taunggyi established.
Finally in 1996, the diocese was renamed to the diocese of Taungngu. The diocese is currently suffragan to the Archdiocese of Taunggyi.
- Tancredi Conti † (12 Feb 1882 Appointed - )
- Rocco Tornatore, P.I.M.E. † (18 Nov 1889 Appointed - 1908 Died)
- Vittorio Emanuele Sagrada, P.I.M.E. † (10 May 1908 Appointed - 1936 Retired)
- Alfredo Lanfranconi, P.I.M.E. † (1 Jul 1937 Appointed - 26 Nov 1959 Died)
- Sebastian U Shwe Yauk † (21 Mar 1961 Appointed - 13 Jul 1988 Died)
- Isaac Danu (1 Sep 1989 Appointed - )