Roman Catholic Diocese of Tulsa
|Diocese of Tulsa
|Ecclesiastical province||Oklahoma City|
|Area||26,417 sq mi (68,420 km2)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||December 13, 1972|
|Cathedral||Holy Family Cathedral|
|Patron saint||Holy Family|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Archbishop Paul Stagg Coakley|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Tulsa (Latin: Dioecesis Tulsensis) is a particular church of the Latin Church of the Roman Catholic Church in the Ecclesiastical province of Oklahoma City covering the eastern region of the U.S. state of Oklahoma. Its ecclesiastical territory includes all of 31 counties in eastern Oklahoma, including the most populous county of the group, Tulsa County. The resignation of Bishop Edward James Slattery was accepted on May 13, 2016, and David Konderla named his successor.
Before the diocese was established, it was part of the former Diocese of Oklahoma City-Tulsa, which had been founded in 1905. The Catholic Church in Oklahoma was founded by French Benedictine monks who entered Indian Territory in 1875. St Gregory's Abbey in Shawnee owes its origins to those same Frenchmen.
The Diocese of Tulsa was founded on December 13, 1972, following the division of the former Diocese of Oklahoma City-Tulsa with Oklahoma City maintaining the archbishop. At present, there are a total of 78 parishes (including mission churches) in the 26,417 square miles (68,420 km2) of the diocese. The official news and information publication of the diocese is The Eastern Oklahoma Catholic.
The following is the list of bishops of the diocese and their years of service:
- † Bernard J. Ganter (1972–1977)
- Eusebius Joseph Beltran (1978–1992)
- Edward James Slattery (1993–2016)
- David Konderla (2016-)
- Te Deum Institute of Sacred Liturgy
The superintendent of the diocese is Jim Pohlman.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic Diocese of Tulsa.|
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of Oklahoma City
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Oklahoma City