Roman Catholic Diocese of Udupi
|Diocese of Udupi
उडुपी के सूबा
Milagres Church (Kallianpur) (Church of Our Lady of Miracles)
|Area||3,501 km2 (1,352 sq mi)|
|(as of 2012)
|Cathedral||Cathedral of Our Lady of the Miracles in Udupi|
|Patron saint||Our Lady of Miracles|
|Bishop||Gerald Isaac Lobo|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Bernard Moras|
|Website of the Diocese|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Udupi (Latin: Dioecesis Udupiensis) is a diocese located in the city of Udupi in Karnataka, India. It was announced by Pope Benedict XVI on 16 July 2012. It comprises the three civil taluka of Udupi, Karkala, and Kundapura and suffragan of the Archdiocese of Bangalore. The diocese contains 47 parishes, and the parish church of Church of Our Lady of Miracles, also known as Milagres Church, at Kallianpur in Udupi district, is the Cathedral church of the dioecese.
The Udupi district had been a part of Diocese of Mangalore since 1887. The diocese was inaugurated on 15 October 2012 by Apostolic Nuncio of India, Salvatore Pennacchio at Milagres Cathedral, Kallianpur. Bishop Gerald Isaac Lobo was appointed the first bishop of the diocese.
The Catholics of this district are Mangalorean Catholics. The Udupi diocese is the 9th in the province, 14th diocese in the state and 166th diocese in the country and is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Bangalore.
Bishops of the Diocese of Udupi
Bishop Gerald Isaac Lobo (15 October 2012 – Present)
- Christianity in Karnataka
- Diocese of Belthangady
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Mangalore
- Deanery of Belthangady
- Syro-Malankara Catholic Eparchy of Puttur
- Most Holy Redeemer Church, Belthangady
- Erection Of The Diocese Of Udupi (India) And Appoints First Bishop catholica.va.
- "History in the Making: Erection Ceremony of Udupi Diocese Gets Under Way". Daiji World. October 15, 2012.
- "Udupi becomes 9th Diocese under Bangalore Archdiocese". Indian Express. 16 October 2012.
|This article about a Catholic diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|