Roman Catholic Diocese of Zacapa y Santo Cristo de Esquipulas
|Diocese of Zacapa y Santo Cristo de Esquipulas
Dioecesis Zacapensis y de Esquipulas
Basílica del Cristo Negro de Esquipulas
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Guatemala City|
|Metropolitan||Oscar Julio Vian Morales, S.D.B.|
|Area||5,598 km2 (2,161 sq mi)|
|(as of 2014)
|Established||10 March 1951 (66 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Catedral San Pedro|
|Co-cathedral||Basílica del Cristo Negro de Esquipulas|
|Bishop||Angel Antonio Recinos Lemus|
Its cathedral episcopal see is catedral San Pedro (dedicated to saint Peter), in Zacapa. It also had a virtual Co-cathedral, Basílica del Cristo Negro de Esquipulas, which is officially still the cathedral of the Territorial Prelature of Santo Cristo de Esquipulas.
It was erected 10 March 1951, as the Diocese of Zacapa, on terrotory split off from the Archdiocese of Guatemala (still its Metropolitan].
On 16 September 1956, it lost territory to establish the Territorial Prelature of Santo Cristo de Esquipulas, and again on 30 April 1968 to establish the then Apostolic Administration of Izabal.
It was (re)united aeque principaliter (in permanent personal union) with the Territorial Prelature of Santo Cristo de Esquipulas on 24 June 1986 and since assumed the name Diocese of Zacapa y Santo Cristo de Esquipulas.
It enjoyed a papal visit from Pope John Paul II in February 1996.
- Apostolic Administrator Miguel Ángel García y Aráuz (1951 – 1955.11.30), while first Bishop of Jalapa (Guatemala) (1951.04.11 – 1987.01.29); previously Titular Bishop of Sophene (1944.05.16 – 1951.04.11) & Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Guatemala (1944.05.16 – 1951.04.11)
- Costantino Cristiano Luna Pianegonda, Friars Minor (O.F.M.) (1955.11.30 – 1980.02.16)
- Rodolfo Quezada Toruño (1980.02.16 – 2001.06.19), succeeding as former Coadjutor Bishop of Zacapa (1975.09.11 – 1980.02.16); also Bishop-Prelate of the Territorial Prelature of Santo Cristo de Esquipulas (1986.06.24 – 2001.06.19), President of Episcopal Conference of Guatemala (1988 – 1992); previously Titular Bishop of Gadiaufala (1972.04.05 – 1975.09.11) & Auxiliary Bishop of Zacapa (1972.04.05 – 1975.09.11); later Metropolitan Archbishop of Guatemala (2001.06.19 – 2010.10.02), President of Episcopal Conference of Guatemala (2002 – 2006), Cardinal-Priest of S. Saturnino (2003.10.21 [2004.03.13] – 2012.06.04)
- José Aníbal Casasola Sosa (2004.05.13 – 2007.04.27), also Bishop-Prelate of Santo Cristo de Esquipulas (Guatemala) (2004.05.13 – 2007.04.27)
- Rosolino Bianchetti Boffelli (2008.11.20 – 2012.09.14), also Bishop-Prelate of Santo Cristo de Esquipulas (Guatemala) (2008.11.20 – 2012.09.14); later Bishop of Quiché (Guatemala) (2012.09.14 – ...)
- Vacant see (sede vacante): 2012 - 2016
- Bishop-elect Reverend Father Ángel Antonio Recinos Lemus (2016.02.22 - present); will receive episcopal ordination and be installed at a date in the near future; until now Subcoordinator of COPADENA for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Jalapa and Pastor of the "Nuestra Señora de Lourdes" (Our Lady of Lourdes) Parish, in El Progreso Achuapa, Jutiapa
- "Diocese of Zacapa y Santo Cristo de Esquipulas". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2007-02-22.
|This article about a Catholic diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|