Roman Catholic Mission Sui Iuris of Cayman Islands
The mission comprises the entirety of the British dependency of the Cayman Islands and consists of five parishes, including Saint Ignatius in George Town, Christ The Redeemer Church in West Bay and Stella Maris Church on Cayman Brac.
The independent mission is exceptionally not exempt (directly dependent on the Holy See) but a suffragan in the ecclesiastical province of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Kingston in Jamaica, and a member of the Antilles Episcopal Conference, while held in personal union with the Metropolitan see of Detroit (Michigan, USA).
Erected on 14 July 2000 on territory split off from the Archdiocese of Kingston in Jamaica, its Metropolitan.
(all Roman Rite)
- Ecclesiastical Superiors of Cayman Island
- Adam Joseph Cardinal Maida (2000.07.14 – 2009.01.05), while Metropolitan Archbishop of Detroit (USA) (1990.04.28 – retired 2009.01.05), created Cardinal-Priest of Ss. Vitale, Valeria, Gervasio e Protasio (1994.11.26 – ...), Apostolic Administrator of Grand Rapids (USA) (2004.05.16 – 2005.06.21); previously Bishop of Green Bay (USA) (1983.11.07 – 1990.04.28)
- Allen Henry Vigneron (2009 - ... ), while Metropolitan Archbishop of Detroit (USA) (2009.01.05 – ...); previously Titular Bishop of Sault Sainte Marie in Michigan (1996.06.12 – 2003.01.10) & Auxiliary Bishop of Detroit (1996.06.12 – 2003.01.10), Coadjutor Bishop of Oakland (USA) (2003.01.10 – 2003.10.01) succeeding as Bishop of Oakland (USA) (2003.10.01 – 2009.01.05)
Relationship with Detroit
In November 2000, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit was assigned pastoral responsibility for the Roman Catholic Church of the Cayman Islands, The Mission and the Archdiocese are related in the person of Mission Ordinary Archbishop Vigneron, who is the current Archbishop of Detroit.
- "Welcome to Saint Ignatius Parish in the Cayman Islands". www.saint-ignatius-cayman.org. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- "St. Ignatius Parish, Grand Cayman". The Official Web Site for the Archdiocese of Detroit. Archdiocese of Detroit. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Cayman Islands (Mission "Sui Iuris")". Catholic-Hierarchy. www.catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
|This article about a Catholic diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|