Catholic Church in Equatorial Guinea
In 2005, about 422,000 (87%) of the 485,000 inhabitants of Equatorial Guinea were member of the Roman Catholic Church. Equatorial Guinea consists of a single ecclesiastical province, Malabo, with four suffragan dioceses in Bata, Ebebiyin, Evinayong and Mongomo. The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Malabo has the Archbishop of Malabo as metropolitan archbishop and spiritual leader of the catholic faithful of Equatorial Guinea. The current Archbishop of Malabo is Mgr Nsue Edjang Mayé, former bishop of Ebebiyin. The emeritus archbishop is Mgr Ildefonso Obama Obono.
The bishops are members of the Episcopal Conference of Equatorial Guinea (Conferencia Episcopal de Guinea Ecuatorial). President of the Episcopal Conference is Mgr Ildefonso Obama Obono, archbishop of Malabo. Furthermore, the Episcopal Conference is a member of the Association des Conferences Episcopales de l'Afrique Centrale and the Symposium des Conférences Épiscopales d'Afrique et de Madagascar.
In April 1, 2017, the Holy See erected two new dioceses in Equatorial Guinea. The Diocese of Evinayong was erected from territories formerly belonging to the Diocese of Bata and the Diocese of Mongomo was carved out of the current Diocese of Ebebiyin.
The Apostolic Nuncio to Equatorial Guinea since January 25, 2010 is Archbishop Piero Pioppo, Titular Archbishop of Torcello.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Bata
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Ebebiyin
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Evinayong
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Mongomo
- Archbishop Luigi Poggi (31 October 1966 - 21 May 1969 later Cardinal)
- Archbishop Ernesto Gallina (July 16, 1969 - March 13, 1971)
- Archbishop Jean Jadot (15 May 1971 - 23 May 1973)
- Archbishop Luciano Storero (30 June 1973 - 14 July 1976)
- Archbishop Giuseppe Uhac (October 7, 1976 - June 3, 1981)
- Archbishop Donato Squicciarini (16 September 1981 - 1 July 1989)
- Archbishop Santos Abril y Castelló (2 October 1989 - 24 February 1996)
- Archbishop Felix del Blanco Prieto (4 May 1996 - 28 June 1996)
- Archbishop Eliseo Antonio Ariotti (17 July 2003 - 5 November 2009)
- Archbishop Piero Pioppo (since January 25, 2010)
|This Catholic Church by country-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Equatorial Guinea-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|