Catholic Church in Puerto Rico

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Roman Catholicism in Puerto Rico)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe, seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ponce.

The Catholic Church in Puerto Rico is part of the worldwide Catholic Church in communion with the Pope in Rome.

Present situation[edit]

The CIA World Factbook reports that 85% of the population of Puerto Rico is Catholic, with the remaining 15% divided among Protestantism, Islam, and Judaism. However, the CIA report provides no date or source for the data; it may be outdated. Some sources, including Pew Research Center, put the Catholic percentage at approximately 70%.[1] An Associated Press article in March 2014 stated that "more than 70 percent of whom identify themselves as Catholic" but provided no source for this information. (It may have been using the 2010 Pew Research data.)[2]

However, in a November 2014 report, with the sub-title Widespread Change in a Historically Catholic Region, Pew Research indicated that only 56% of Puerto Ricans were Catholic and that 33% were Protestant; this survey was completed between October 2013 and February 2014.[3]

Religious breakdown in Puerto Rico (2010)[4]

  Catholic (69.7%)
  Protestant (25.1%)
  Other Christian (1.9%)
  Other (1.4%)
  Irreligious (1.9%)

When discussing Catholicism in Puerto Rico, Archbishop Roberto Gonzalez Nieves of San Juan offered this comment in 2007. "Its deepest roots are Latino ... U.S. rule began in 1898, at the end of the Spanish–American War, but indigenous, African and Spanish cultures "shaped its identity for 400 years" and that influence "cannot be undone overnight." The shift from Spanish to U.S. rule brought a wave of anti-Catholic sentiment that led to the prohibition of the processions that are a mainstay of Latin American religious practice, as well as government policies that prohibited schools from teaching in Spanish. Since the approval of a Puerto Rican Constitution in 1952, however, popular religious traditions such as processions and festivals honoring communities' patron saints have taken root again.[5]

There is also an Byzantine Catholic community of the St. Spyridon Parish in Trujillo Alto under the jurisdiction of Archbishop Roberto González Nieves[6].

List of dioceses[edit]

Episcopal conference[edit]

The bishops in Puerto Rico form the Puerto Rican Episcopal Conference (Spanish: Conferencia Episcopal Puertorriqueña). [7][8] The episcopal conference allows the bishops to set certain norms for all of Puerto Rico, including the form of the liturgy.

See also[edit]


  1. ^ "Demography - Puerto Rico". Pew Research. Pew Research, DC. January 2017. Retrieved February 18, 2017. 
  2. ^ Associated Press (March 12, 2014). "Catholic Church and Puerto Rico officials at odds in widening sex abuse investigation". FOX News. FOX News. Retrieved February 17, 2017. 
  3. ^ [Religion in Latin America "Religion in Latin America"] Check |url= value (help). Pew Research. Pew Research Center. November 13, 2014. Retrieved February 21, 2017. 
  4. ^ "Demography - Puerto Rico". Pew Research. Pew Research, DC. January 2017. Retrieved February 18, 2017. 
  5. ^ Catholic Church in Puerto Rico is looking to rekindle faith, regain identity, archbishop says
  6. ^ Puerto Rico Welcomes First-Ever Eastern Catholic Parish
  7. ^ Conferencia Episcopal Puertorriqueña (C.E.P.). website. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
  8. ^ Cheney, David M. "Catholic Church in Puerto Rico". Retrieved 2009-07-27. 

External links[edit]