Roman Empire (TV series)
|Directed by||Richard Lopez|
John Ealer (season 2)
|Country of origin||United States |
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||15|
|Original release||November 11, 2016 –|
Roman Empire is an American-Canadian television documentary based on historical events of the Roman Empire. The show is in the anthology format with each season presenting an independent story. Season 1, "Reign of Blood", is a six-part story centered on Emperor Commodus. Jeremiah Murphy and Peter Sherman collaborated on writing the first season, with Richard Lopez directing. It premiered on Netflix on November 11, 2016. Season 2, "Master of Rome", is a five-part story of the rise of Julius Caesar and the fall of the Roman Republic. Season 2 premiered on July 27, 2018. Season 3 premiered on Netflix on April 5, 2019 and centers on Emperor Caligula.
As Roman Empire is an anthology series, each season tells its own story, and each season has its own title.
The first season is named Commodus: Reign of Blood, and consists of 6 episodes. It became available for streaming on November 11, 2016.
- Ep 1: Born in the Purple
- Ep 2: The Making of an Emperor
- Ep 3: Enemy of the Senate
- Ep 4: Rome is Burning
- Ep 5: Fight for Glory
- Ep 6: 14 Days of Blood
The second season is named Julius Caesar: Master of Rome, and consists of 5 episodes. It became available for streaming on July 27, 2018.
- Ep 1: The Triumvirate
- Ep 2: The Great Conqueror
- Ep 3: Crossing the Rubicon
- Ep 4: Queen of the Nile
- Ep 5: The Ides of March
In Episode 5 of Season two at 34:22, the narrator, Sean Bean stated that Julies Caesar was stabbed on the 14th of March, that was incorrect. As Julius Caesar was stabbed on March 15th as stated earlier in the episode.
The third season is named Caligula: The Mad Emperor, and consists of 4 episodes. It became available for streaming on April 05, 2019.
- Ep 1: The Rightful Heir
- Ep 2: A New Hope
- Ep 3: In Search of an Heir
- Ep 4: Descent into Madness
Historical people and events
"Commodus: Reign of Blood"
- Commodus was Roman Emperor from 180 to 192. He also ruled as co-emperor with his father Marcus Aurelius from 177 until his father's death in 180.
- Marcus Aurelius was Roman Emperor from 161 to 180. He ruled with Lucius Verus as co-emperor from 161 until Verus' death in 169. Marcus Aurelius was the last of the so-called Five Good Emperors. He was a practitioner of Stoicism, and his Greek-language writing, commonly known as the Meditations, is the most significant source of the modern understanding of ancient Stoic philosophy.
- Faustina the Younger was a daughter of Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius. She was a Roman Empress and wife to her maternal cousin Marcus Aurelius. Though Roman sources give a generally negative view of her character, she was held in high esteem by soldiers and her own husband and was given divine honors after her death.
- Lucilla was the second daughter and third child of Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius and an elder sister to future Roman Emperor Commodus.
- Avidius Cassius was a Roman general and usurper who briefly ruled Egypt and Syria in 175.
"Julius Caesar: Master of Rome"
Season 1: Reign of Blood
- Sean Bean as Narrator
- Aaron Jakubenko as Commodus
- Ella Becroft as Bruttia Crispina
- Edwin Wright as Cassius Dio
- Genevieve Aitken as Marcia
- Jared Turner as Cleander
- John Bach as Marcus Aurelius
- Tai Berdinner-Blades as Lucilla
- Mike Edward as Narcissus (wrestler)
Season 2: Master of Rome
- Sean Bean as Narrator
- Ditch Davey as Julius Caesar
- Tim Carlsen as Mark Antony
- Natalie Medlock as Servilia
- Ben Black as Brutus
- Stephen Lovatt as Pompey
- Wesley Dowdell as Crassus
- Andrew Robertt as Cato
- Taylor Hall as Young Caesar
- Jessica Green as Cleopatra
- Errol Shand as Vercingetorix
- Phoenix Connolly as Julia
Season 3: The Mad Emperor
- Steve West as Narrator
- Ido Drent as Caligula
- Craig Walsh-Wrightson as Tiberius
- Kelson Henderson as Claudius
- Colin Moy as Cassius
- Teressa Liane as Agrippina
- Leon Wadham as Tiberius Gemellus
- Michael Morris as Naevius Sutorius Macro
- Molly Leishman as Livilla
- Elizabeth Dowden as Drusilla
- Gladiator, a fictionalized telling of the life of Commodus.
- The Fall of the Roman Empire, another fictionalized telling of the life of Commodus.
- O'Keefe, Meghan (11 November 2016). "Roman Empire: Reign of Blood is an Uncensored Look at Ancient History". The Decider.
- Robinson, Joanna; Lawson, Richard (25 October 2016). "What's New on Netflix in November—and What to Watch Before It Disappears". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Roman Empire | Netflix Official Site". www.netflix.com. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "'Roman Empire' Season 3 Coming to Netflix in April 2019". What's on Netflix. March 13, 2019.
- "Bruttia Crispina". TV Maze. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- O'Keefe, Meghan (15 November 2016). "'Roman Empire: Reign of Blood': Who was the Real Lucilla?". The Decider. Retrieved 20 November 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Kiwi stars to get bloody in ancient Rome". spy.nzherald.co.nz. 28 July 2018. Retrieved 28 July 2018.