|Born||13 August 1984|
Voronezh, RSFSR, USSR
|Died||3 February 2018 (aged 33)|
Saraqib, Idlib, Syria
|Years of service||2001–2018|
|Unit||Russian Aerospace Forces|
|Battles/wars||Syrian Civil War (Russian intervention)|
|Awards||Hero of the Russian Federation|
Roman Nikolayevich Filipov (Russian: Рома́н Никола́евич Фили́пов; 13 August 1984 – 3 February 2018) was a Russian military pilot who killed himself in a last stand to avoid being captured after being wounded by militants when his Su-25SM jet was shot down in Idlib Province, Syria on 3 February 2018. Filipov was posthumously awarded the honor of the Hero of the Russian Federation.
Upon completing the Krasnodar Higher Military Aviation School, he was posted at the air base in the village of Chernigovka, Primorsky Krai, (200 km (120 mi) north of Vladivostok) in the Russian Far East. In the summer of 2017, he was stationed in Sakhalin.
On 3 February 2018, during the Syrian Civil War, Filipov was flying a Sukhoi Su-25 accompanied  by another Su-25 at an altitude of about 4,000 metres (13,000 ft) on a routine patrol mission over the province of Idlib. Uploaded videos showed the jet was part of a two-ship formation flying at low-to-medium altitude, with the downed aircraft separating and diving to perform a rocket attack. While pulling up after deploying air to ground rockets without deploying defensive flares, the Su-25 was hit by the missile. He was downed by militants over the province of Idlib, near the town of Maarrat al-Nu'man (57 km (35 mi) north of the city of Hama), or the town of Saraqib, according to other sources, presumably by a shoulder launched surface to air missile. Responsibility was claimed by Tahrir al-Sham (formerly known as Jabhat Al-Nusra) and Jaysh al-Nasr, which is affiliated with the Free Syrian Army.
Filipov held his ground as the militant fighters approached, exchanging fire with them with his Stechkin sidearm. He still had radio contact to the Russian airbase and reported that he killed two militant fighters. After being wounded, he blew himself up with a grenade as enemy fighters closed in on his position in order to avoid capture. His last words, as filmed by the militant fighters shortly before the grenade exploded, were "This is for our guys". On the same day, Russia retaliated by firing Kalibr missiles on the positions of rebels in the Idlib province, Syria responsible for the downing, killing at least 30.
His body was repatriated to Russia. Commemoration events in his memory were held across Russia. Major Filipov was buried on 8 February 2018 at the Alley of Glory of the Kominternovskoye Cemetery in Voronezh with thousands of people attending the related ceremonies. In his speech to the Russian parliament, President Putin hailed his courage and service.
- List of last stands
- Russian Armed Forces casualties in Syria
- Russian military intervention in the Syrian Civil War
- List of aviation shootdowns and accidents during the Syrian Civil War
- Russian pilot shouts 'this is for our guys' as he blows himself up to evade capture in Syria
- «Мечтал стать летчиком»: каким был погибший в Сирии Роман Филиппов // ИА REGNUM, 05.02.2018
- Поликарпов В. (5 February 2018). ""Вечного тебе полета": пилот сбитого в Сирии Су-25 служил в Приморском крае". Komsomolskaya Pravda.
- Сушинова Я. Минобороны рассказало об обстоятельствах гибели пилота Су-25 в Сирии // Аргументы и факты, 05.02.2018
- Последние переговоры Романа Филипова с пилотом второго Су-25: «В меня попали! Хорошо попали! Тяну на юг...» Komsomolskaya Pravda, 7 February 2018.
- Летчик принял бой на земле: “Ъ” узнал подробности гибели пилота Су-25 в Сирии Kommersant, 5 February 2018.
- "Syria rebels shoot down Russian jet, capture pilot - monitor". Deutsche Welle. 3 February 2018. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- Источник: Сбитый в Сирии самолет оказался российским Су-25
- Погибшего в Сирии летчика представили к званию Героя России BBC, 5 February 2018.
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5352379/Pilot-grenade-suicide-not-taken-Syria-jihadists.html. Missing or empty
- N. Hodge (2018-02-05). "Russian military reveals identity of pilot shot down in Syria". CNN. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- W. Stewart (2018-02-05). "'This is for our guys!' Downed Russian pilot screamed and blew himself up with a grenade rather than be captured by fanatics in Syria". The Sun. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Major Filipov's last stand: 34yo Russian pilot who detonated grenade not to surrender to terrorists". RT. 2018-02-05. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Russian cruise missiles kill at least 30 Syrian rebels after jet fighter downed". USA Today. Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Body of hero Russian Su-25 pilot retrieved from Syria & returned to Russia — MoD". RT. 2018-02-06. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- ""Eternal flight": the pilot of the su-25 Roman Filipov escort in Russia". Russian Reality. 2018-02-07. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- В память о майоре Филипове из свечек выложат силуэт Су-25
- В Липецке почтили память погибшего в Сирии летчика Романа Филипова RIA Novosti, 6 February 2018.
- "Thousands pay last respects to Russian hero Su-25 pilot downed in Syria (VIDEO)". RT. 2018-02-08. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Tens of thousands mourn Russian pilot killed in Syria". The Washington Post. 2018-02-08. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Filipov.|