Roman Szporluk (born 1933) is a political scientist and historian of Ukrainian origin in the U.S. He is a professor emeritus at Harvard and the University of Michigan. He has written several books and many papers.
He was born in Grzymałów (Kopychyntsi county, Tarnopol voivodeship - today is in Ukraine, Ternopil region) and studied in Lublin after World War II at Maria Curie-Skłodowska University graduating in 1955. He did post-graduate work for three years and then headed west in 1958 studying political thought at Oxford University in 1961 under Sir Isaiah Berlin and John Plamenatz and at Stanford.
From 1965 until 1991 he worked at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor as a professor of history. There he also was a Director of the Center for Russian and Eastern European Studies at the University of Michigan.
Szporluk was one of Fiona Hill (presidential advisor)'s Phd advisor.
Member of the Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences in the USA.
Member of the Board of the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies (1976-1979).
Foreign Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
Member of the Shevchenko Scientific Society.
He is the compiler and editor of the selected articles by M. Pokrovsky ("Russian in World History", 1970) and the combined work "The Influence of Eastern Europe and the Soviet West on the USSR" (1975).
Selected published works
- The Political Thought of T.G. Masaryk 
- Communism and Nationalism: Karl Marx versus Friedrich List 
- Russia, Ukraine, and the Breakup of the Soviet Union
- U poshukakh maibutnioho chasu ("In Search of Future Time" (in Ukrainian, 2010)
- "Roman Szporluk". Center for European Studies at Harvard University. December 22, 2015. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "Roman Szporluk". Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies. December 17, 2012. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "Memoir - Faculty History Project". Homepage | U-M Library. June 30, 1991. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- Szporluk, Roman (June 19, 2008) . The political thought of Thomas G. Masaryk. Boulder Colo. New York: East European Monographs Distributed by Columbia University Press. ISBN 978-0-914710-79-0.
- Szporluk, Roman (1991). Communism and nationalism : Karl Marx versus Friedrich List. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-505103-3.
- YouTube video of Szporluk delivering the August Zaleski lecture on Modern Ukrainian History 1795 - 1991 in 2012