Romanians in Spain
|Romanian, Spanish, Catalan|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Romanian Britons, Romanian Italians, Romanian Germans, Romanian Australians, Romanian Americans, Romanian Canadians, Romanian French people|
Romanians in Spain form the second largest group of foreigners in the country, after Moroccans. As of 2014[update], they made up 15.6% of Spain's total foreign population of 4,676,022 people. Most of the immigration is for economic reasons, as many Romanians from rural and underdeveloped areas are attracted by the higher wages of Spain. The linguistic similarities between Romanian and Spanish, as well as Romanians' Latin identity, are also a reason for the country's attractiveness.
After the December 1989 Romanian Revolution, emigration was liberalized, but for the next few years, emigration to Spain was modest. It started to increase slowly in the late 1990s, and exploded after 2002. Emigration was further facilitated by the entry of Romania in the EU in 2007. By 2011, it reached a peak of nearly 900,000 people, after which the Romanian population has been steadily decreasing as a result of emigration from Spain since 2012 due to the economic problems and unemployment in the country, falling to 679.682 by July 2017. Because of this, the diaspora in Italy, which has continued to increase, is now considerably larger than that in Spain.
Romanian diaspora in Spain is today the second Romanian diaspora in the EU, after that of Italy. In recent years, emigration to Southern Europe has started to slow down, with many Romanians now preferring Scandinavian counties such as Sweden, Denmark, and Norway, as well as the UK, Germany, France and Ireland.
- Alexandru Buligan (b. 1960) – handball player and coach
- Mihaela Ciobanu (b. 1973) – handball player
- Cosmin Contra (b. 1975) – footballer and coach
- Gheorghe Craioveanu (b. 1968) – footballer
- Alexandru Dedu (b. 1971) – handball player
- Constantin Gâlcă (b. 1972) – footballer and coach
- Adrian Ilie (b. 1974) – footballer
- Valeriu Lazarov (1935–2009) – television producer, director of Spanish channel Telecinco
- Elsa Pataky (b. 1976) – actress
- Gheorghe Popescu (b. 1967) – footballer
- Roxana Popa (b. 1997) – artistic gymnast
- Virgil Popa (b. 1975) – conductor
- Marcela Topor (b. 1976) – journalist
- INE 2014 http://www.ine.es/en/prensa/np854_en.pdf
- "Población extranjera por sexo, país de nacionalidad y edad (hasta 85 y más).", Avance del Padrón a 1 de enero de 2009. Datos provisionales, Spain: Instituto Nacional de Estadística, 2009, retrieved 2009-06-13
- "Población extranjera por sexo, país de nacionalidad y edad (hasta 85 y más).", Revisión del Padrón municipal 2008. Datos a nivel nacional, comunidad autónoma y provincia., Spain: Instituto Nacional de Estadística, 2008, retrieved 2009-06-13
- "Población extranjera por sexo, país de nacionalidad y edad (hasta 85 y más).", Revisión del Padrón municipal 2007. Datos a nivel nacional, comunidad autónoma y provincia., Spain: Instituto Nacional de Estadística, 2008, retrieved 2009-06-13