Jump to navigation Jump to search
The 'Rue de Metz pharmacy
|Intercommunality||Communauté de communes du Pays Orne-Moselle|
|• Mayor||Lionel Fournier|
|11.69 km2 (4.51 sq mi)|
|• Density||850/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||162–383 m (531–1,257 ft) |
(avg. 200 m or 660 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
- The first human settlements date back to the Upper Paleolithic (-15,000 BP) on the site called Les Roches.
- Discovery in 1870 at the site called La tuilerie de Ramonville of Neolithic axes (-4,000 BP)
- The Germanic frank Rumo founded Rombas in the 5th century.
- The town went through several name changes over the course of history, it has been named Romesbach in 972, Romabach in 984, Rumesbach in 1128, Ramisbach in 1160-1162, Romesbas in 1185, Romebac in 1245, Romebair in 1247, Roumebac in 1280, Rombair in 1335-1338, Rombas in the 15th century, Rombach from 1870 to 1918 while absorbed by Germany; and finally Rombas from 1918.
|Population||10 492||12 412||13 303||11 733||10 844||10 743||10 100|
|From the year 1968 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
- The Drince tower, located on the edge of Pierrevillers, it overlooks Rombas at its highest elevation, between Metz and Thionville.
- The Fond Saint-Martin and Les Roches.
- The old church, demolished in 1755, was heavily fortified.
- The St Remy church, 1756, was replaced in 1938 by a modern church. Sculpture : Christ de Pitie from 16th century.
Notable people from Rombas
- Mireille Guiliano, French-American author, born in Moyeuvre-Grande, 1946.
- Marie Hackin, compagnon de la Libération, born in Rombas, 1905.
- Jean-Jacques Sitek, Rombas, mémoire de la Vallée de l'Orne, 1993.
- Jean-Jacques Sitek, Rombas, Hier et Aujourd'hui, 1999.
Notes & references
- Translated from the French Wikipedia article 12 June 2008 (UTC)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rombas.|
- Official website of the town of Rombas
- List of Rombas' mayors
- Site about Rombas with live webcam
- Rombas on the French National Geographic Institute website
|This Moselle geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|