Type of site
|Travel search engine|
|Founder(s)||Michael Cameron, Bernhard Tschirren|
|Industry||Travel, technology, search engine|
|Alexa rank||6,258 (As of 12 May 2018[update])|
Rome2rio is a multimodal transport search engine that launched in April 2011. Rome2rio's platform is capable of long-distance (inter-city) trip planning as well as local (intra-city) journey planning. Users can input any address, town or landmark as the origin and destination and Rome2rio searches a database of flight, train, ferry, bus and driving routes to present route and price options for travelling to that destination. Rome2rio also offers results for hotels, rental cars and attractions. In 2016 the company moved to a hybrid search and booking model and introduced onsite ticketing for selected operators including UK Rail, Amtrak and Renfe.
The company is based in Melbourne, Australia.
The transport data searched by Rome2rio includes:
- 550,013 bus routes via 3,328 bus operators
- 141,740 train lines via 364 train operators
- 46,445 flight paths via 670 airlines
- 9,916 ferries via 531 ferry operators
plus driving directions for most countries worldwide.
Founders and history
Rome2rio was founded by Bernhard Tschirren and Dr Michael Cameron, two ex-Microsoft software engineers. The site was born out of their frustrations with the lack of a fast, easy-to-use, and comprehensive multi-modal search engine with global coverage. The two co-founders began work on the product in September 2010 and won the Melbourne Azure Bizspark Camp Award in February 2011. The beta version of Rome2rio was officially launched on 7 April 2011. Rod Cuthbert, founder of Viator, joined the team as CEO in 2012. Rome2rio won the People's Choice Award at Phocuswright 2012, the TRAVELtech GlobalCollect Website of the Year in 2013, the Data Specialist Award at the 2015 WITovation Awardsand the Best Metasearch Award at the 2016 Travolution Awards.
The company has raised $2.8 million in funding including a 2014 grant of $1.2 million from Commercialisation Australia. In 2017 the company made changes to the executive team. Rod Cuthbert was made Executive Chairman, Michael Cameron became CEO and Bernie Tschirren was made Chief Architect. The team added Kirsteene Phelan as COO. Rome2rio opened their new Melbourne head office in November 2017.
White label and API
The company initially offered both white label and API options for partners wishing to integrate its multi-modal results into web sites and mobile apps. In July 2015 it announced that support for its white label product would cease in January 2016, citing pressure on development resources brought on by rapid growth in its consumer business.
- "Rome2rio.com Traffic Statistics". Alexa Internet, Inc. 2018.
- Rome2rio Is Google Maps With Airfare, Train And Driving Options. TechCrunch (2011-04-07). Retrieved on 2015-05-22.
- Leo, Jen (2014-01-05). "Rome2Rio.com shows travelers how to get from here to there". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- "Rome2rio Is Google Maps With Airfare, Train And Driving Options – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- Ltd, rome2rio Pty. "Rome2rio coverage". Rome2rio. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- TLabs Showcase – Rome2rio. Tnooz. Retrieved on 2015-05-22.
- Community report: Melbourne Azure Bizspark camp 2011 | Burela's house-o-blog. Davidburela.wordpress.com. Retrieved on 2015-05-22.
- Rome2Rio launches travel search with planes, trains, and automobiles | VentureBeat | News | by Anthony Ha. VentureBeat (2011-04-07). Retrieved on 2015-05-22.
- "Rome2Rio grabs $450,000 investment round, appoints ex-Viator boss as interim CEO – Tnooz". Tnooz. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- "Phocuswright Conference : 2012 Travel Innovation Summit Alumni". phocuswrightconference.com. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- "Rome2Rio Beats Strong Field to Win Website of the Year | Travel Trends". www.traveltrends.biz. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- "Tearjerker in Thailand and karaoke-basketball fusion win at WITovation Awards – WIT". WIT. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- "Rome2Rio Gets Another $1.2 million in Govt Funding | Travel Trends". www.traveltrends.biz. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- Bryant, Martin. "Multi-Modal Travel Search Engine Rome2rio Opens Up Free API Access". The Next Web. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- "Rome2Rio axes white label to prioritise own consumer brand". Tnooz. Retrieved 2016-02-04.