Romeo's Blue Skies
|Romeo and the Black Brothers|
Cover of the first DVD
(Romeo's Blue Skies)
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kôzô Kuzuha|
|Original network||Fuji TV|
|Original run||January 15, 1995 – December 17, 1995|
Romeo's Blue Skies (ロミオの青い空 Romio no aoi sora, "Romeo's Blue Skies") is a Japanese anime series by Nippon Animation. Although "Romeo's Blue Skies" is the literal translation of the Japanese title, the official English name given by Nippon Animation is "Romeo and the Black Brothers". It is known in the Philippines as "Mga Munting Pangarap ni Romeo" (literally "Romeo's Simple Dreams").
- Romeo (ロミオ)
- Voiced by Ai Orikasa (Japanese)/Louie Paraboles (Tagalog)
- A young, optimistic boy who often courageously helps those around him without self-regard. He offers himself to Luini for sale as a chimney sweep when his sick father cannot pay for a doctor. He is sent to Milan, where he quickly learns the trade while always maintaining a positive attitude. After ten years he marries Bianca, name their son Alfredo after his late best friend and brother-in-law.
- Romeo (Originally named "Giorgio" in the novel "Die schwarzen Brüder") grew up to a loving family in Sonogno, a small village in Switzerland which is located near the Italian border. His father Roberto is a farmer, while his mother Jessica is a housewife. Romeo has twin brothers: Carlo and Pietro. He also has a grandmother named Maria and a pet ermine named Piccolo. When Romeo was still a child, he had the job of ringing the church bells every morning in his village. He also used to go fishing with his friends on sunny days. Romeo even helped his father on the jobs in their family's cornfield. He helps the people around him without consideration of himself.
A long-standing drought struck Sonogno Village and many families suffered because of this, including Romeo's family. During this time, Luini, the "God of Death," came to the village, searching for boys that he could buy and sell to become chimney sweeps in Milan. Romeo unfortunately became Luini's interest. The "God of Death" asked Romeo's father Roberto to sell to him the then 11-year old boy, but Roberto refused. In order to bind Romeo under a contract, Luini burned the remaining cornfield of Romeo's family. During this tragedy, Romeo's father got a head injury which caused his blindness. Romeo's family could not afford to get a doctor for Roberto because they lost their livelihood. The 11-year old Romeo was forced to sell himself to the "God of Death" in order to get a doctor that could treat his father's illness. After Romeo signed a contract with Luini, a doctor from Locarno named Baregi was brought to Sonogno and treated Roberto. Romeo then sadly left his family and embarked on a long journey to Milan. It was during this journey that Romeo first met Alfredo, who saved him from an apple vendor who mistakenly accused him of stealing apples. Romeo and Alfredo quickly became best friends. Together they were sold in Milan by the "God of Death" to their respective bosses. Romeo was bought by Marchelo Rossi. Before Romeo and Alfredo separated, they swore eternal friendship and promised to each other that they would meet again.
Romeo experienced many hardships and triumphs while working as a chimney sweep in Milan. He experienced to get mistreated by the Rossi family and get bullied by the Wolf Pack gang. Later, Romeo and Alfredo were reunited with each other. During the reunion, Alfredo revealed to Romeo his intention to create a fraternity for chimney sweeps that can help each other in times of need. Together they joined forces with other chimney sweeps in Milan and the Black Brothers was formed. Romeo and the other members of the fraternity chose Alfredo as their first leader. The Black Brothers defeated the Wolf Pack during their fights at San Babila Church and Sempione Park. The greatest triumph of Romeo in Milan happened when he learned to read and write through Professor Casella. With the help of the kind-hearted professor, the then "no read, no write" boy was brought to the world of knowledge. Romeo became knowledgeable in writing and even became fond of reading books like his best friend Alfredo. When Alfredo died of tuberculosis during a cold winter in Milan, Romeo became deeply depressed, but after hearing encouraging words from the Black Brothers and Alfredo's sister Bianca, he managed to accept his beloved best friend's death. Romeo succeeded Alfredo as leader of the Black Brothers. The first thing that he did as leader of the Black Brothers was to start a fundraising for Alfredo's funeral. The fundraising became successful and Alfredo was given a decent funeral.
- Romeo fortunately finished his working contract in Milan when spring came. He then happily returned to his family in Sonogno Village.
- Romeo was accompanied by his pet ermine Piccolo during his entire journey to Milan. He was also accompanied during his entire stay in the city mentioned and even when he returned home to Sonogno Village. Ten years after finishing his working contract in Milan, Romeo became a teacher. Romeo and Bianca (Alfredo's sister) were married and they named their first child after Alfredo.
- Count Alfredo Martini (アルフレド・マルティーニ)
- Voiced by Fujita Toshiko
- Romeo's best friend, and in the anime series the heir to a large fortune. He and his sister Bianca were orphaned by their evil uncle Mauritio and aunt Graziella, who coveted the family wealth for themselves and therefore murdered Alfredo's parents by fire. In order to support Bianca, Alfredo sold his services as a chimney sweep to Luini. Drawing upon an old favor the King owed Alfredo's father, Alfredo and Bianca, with the help of Romeo and their friends, manage to thwart the villains. However, shortly afterwards he dies of a fatal lung disease.
- Alfredo, the founder and first leader of the Black Brothers, was Romeo's best friend. Born into a noble family, he was the only son of the couple Viscount Vittorio and Viscountess Patrizia Martini and the older brother of Bianca. Alfredo loved to read books. He and his sister Bianca grew up at the Martini mansion in Piedmont. Together they enjoyed a happy, peaceful life with their parents until a terrible tragedy struck their family. The siblings' relatives Maurizio and Grazela Martini coveted all the treasures of Vittorio, especially the Martini medal. Their deep enviousness led them to burn the Martini mansion. Alfredo and Bianca's parents were killed during the incident, but before they died, Viscount Vittorio managed to entrust the Martini medal to Alfredo. The siblings escaped from the fire, bringing with them the medal. Maurizio and Grazela hunted the orphaned siblings for the medal. They even put on Alfredo and Bianca's heads the blame for the tragedy in Piedmont, making them wanted by the police.
A month after the burning of the Martini mansion, Alfredo and Bianca stumbled across a farm village. During this time, Alfredo's sister could no longer walk because of tiredness and because of this, they rested along the road. They were later found and rescued by a farmer. After the siblings' rescue, Luini, the "God of Death," appeared in the farm village. Alfredo then decided to sign a contract with Luini and go to Milan to work as a chimney sweep in order to protect Bianca. Alfredo embarked on a long journey to Milan, leaving behind his beloved younger sister in the farm village. It was during his journey to Milan that Alfredo first met Romeo, who at that time was mistakenly accused of stealing apples by a vendor named Tonio. The noble boy saved Romeo by showing and telling Tonio the proofs of Romeo's innocence. Alfredo and Romeo's friendship began then. Together they were sold in Milan by the "God of Death" to their respective bosses. Alfredo was bought by a very cruel man named Citron. Before Alfredo and Romeo separated, they swore eternal friendship and promised to each other that they would meet again. Alfredo experienced starvation and violence while he was living with Citron. There were days that he did not eat because the money that were supposed to be used in buying potatoes were wasted by his boss in buying liquors. There was also a time that Citron threw a bottle and a plate at him while cleaning the floor in their home.
Alfredo and Romeo later reunited. During the reunion, Alfredo revealed to Romeo his intention to create a fraternity for chimney sweeps that can help each other in times of need. They joined forces with other chimney sweeps in Milan and the Black Brothers was formed. All of the members of the alliance chose Alfredo to become their leader. As a leader of the Black Brothers, he was respected and admired by all of his companions for his intelligence and bravery. The Black Brothers victoriously defeated the Wolf Pack in their fights twice. First, at San Babila Church and finally at Sempione Park. The Black Brothers under Alfredo's leadership was also instrumental to Countess Isabella Montovani's acceptance of Angeletta as her granddaughter.
Alfredo's sister Bianca was captured by Maurizio and Grazela Martini and together they went to Milan. Knowing that Alfredo was in Milan and that the Martini medal was with him, the evil couple took Bianca hostage to get by force the medal from him. Romeo and the Black Brothers then saved Bianca from her evil relatives and brought her to San Babila Church, where she was reunited with Alfredo. During the reunion, Alfredo coughed blood and suddenly collapsed. He was brought to Dr. Casella and the doctor diagnosed that he had tuberculosis. Although the name of the disease was not mentioned to Alfredo, he was still aware about his terrible fate. Sensing that he could die anytime, Alfredo decided to entrust his only sister to Dr. Casella. He even decided to meet with the King of Italy to clear his and Bianca's tarnished names and to reclaim their inheritance. With the help of the Black Brothers, the Wolf Pack and Countess Montovani, the Martini siblings successfully met the king who was attending a banquet during that time. In the end, Alfredo proved to the King of Italy that he was really part of the Martini line by showing his father's medal with a "mark of benediction" from the king's father, Carlo Alberto of Sardinia. The king was also convinced that the Martini siblings truly did not kill their own parents.
- Alfredo Martini's Death
- The following day after the victorious meeting with the King of Italy, Alfredo died of tuberculosis. He died in the arms of his best friend Romeo. His death was mourned by all those who love him, especially Bianca, Romeo and the other living members of the Black Brothers. Romeo succeeded his late best friend as leader of the Black Brothers. The first thing that Romeo did as the new leader was to start a fundraising for Alfredo's funeral. The fundraising was successful. Alfredo was given a solemn funeral. Alfredo is the namesake of the son of Romeo and Bianca.
- Professor Casella (カセラ)
- Voiced by Kinryuu Arimoto
- Casella is a teacher and doctor in Milan. He has a large collection of books in his house. Professor Casella is a very kind man. He taught Romeo to read and write. The great professor brought the then 11-year old boy to the world of knowledge. In addition to these great deeds, he also took custody of Bianca Martini by the request of the dying Alfredo Martini. Dr. Casella treated Alfredo's younger sister as his real daughter. Every Saturday, the doctor goes to an orphanage and examines children.
- The Black Brothers
- A group of young chimney sweeps formed by Alfredo and Romeo, they consider each other as family and work together to solve conflict. In front of Alfredo's grave, the Black Brothers and the Wolf Pack made peace with each other.
- Dante (ダンテ)
- Voiced by Tomoko Ishimura
- Dante is a funny boy with a huge ego who lives in Locarno. Romeo and Alfredo first met him when Alfredo's bag was stolen. Luini, the "God of Death," also sold Dante to work as a chimney sweep in Milan. He was bought by Matteo, the close friend of Marchelo Rossi. He saved Romeo from a beating by the Wolf Pack gang.
Dante is one of the members of the Black Brothers. He develops a crush on Nikita. When spring finally came to Milan, Dante finished his working contract and returned to his hometown of Locarno.
- Luini (ルイニ)
- Voiced by Tetsuo Komura
- A cruel man who visits towns to buy children, he goes as far as destroying the livelihood of Romeo's family in order to bind him under a contract. He later sells them as chimney sweeps making large sums of profit.
- Luini (Antonio Luini in the novel "Die schwarzen Brüder") is the man who is famously known as the "God of Death" or "Salot" in Tagalized Version. He visited in different towns and bought young boys including Romeo to sell as chimney sweeps in Milan. Mr. Luini's cruelty went as far as destroying the livelihood of Romeo's family in order to bind the then 11-year old boy under a contract.
- Citron (シトロン)
- Voiced by Masaharu Satou
- Citron was the man who bought Alfredo Martini. He is a gambler and very heavy drinker. Citron is also a cruel and violent man. When Matteo tried to buy Alfredo, Citron drew a blade and pointed it to him. Alfredo experienced cruelty and violence while with his boss. There were days that he did not eat because the money that were supposed to be used in buying potatoes were wasted by his boss in buying liquors. There was also a time that Citron threw a bottle and a plate at Alfredo while the young noble boy was cleaning the floor in their home. Citron's cruelty and violence against Alfredo greatly contributed to the early death of the beloved leader of the Black Brothers.
- Countess Bianca Martini (ビアンカ・マルティーニ)
- Voiced by Akemi Okamura
- Alfredo's sister. For her Alfredo sold his services as a chimney sweep to Luini. She was captured by her evil uncle and aunt, rescued by the efforts of Romeo, Alfredo and the Black Brothers. Ten years after the conclusion of the series she marries Romeo, and bears a son whom they name Alfredo after his uncle and his father's best friend.
- :Bianca is the younger sister of Alfredo and only daughter of the couple Viscount Vittorio and Viscountess Patrizia Martini. She is a tomboy whose talents are dancing and playing the piano. Bianca and her big brother grew up at the Martini mansion in Piedmont. They enjoyed a happy, peaceful life with their parents until a great tragedy struck their family. Maurizio and Grazela Martini, the siblings' relatives who coveted all the treasures of Viscount Vittorio (especially the Martini medal), burned the Martini mansion. Bianca and Alfredo managed to escape with the Martini medal during the fire, while their parents were burned to death. Maurizio and Grazela hunted the orphaned siblings for the Martini medal. They even put the blame for the fire incident on Bianca and Alfredo's heads, making the siblings wanted by police. Bianca told Alfredo to cut her long, curly, blonde hair because of these reasons, hoping she will not be recognized by Maurizio and Grazela.
A month after the tragedy in Piedmont, Bianca and Alfredo stumbled across a farm village. During this time, Bianca could no longer walk because of tiredness. A farmer saw the siblings resting along the road and rescued them. Soon, the "God of Death," Luini, appeared in the farm village. In order to protect Bianca, Alfredo decided to sign a contract with Luini and go to Milan to work as a chimney sweep. Bianca was left behind in the farm village.
Soon after Alfredo went to Milan, Bianca was captured by Maurizio and Grazela. Knowing that Alfredo was in Milan and the Martini medal was with him, the evil couple took Bianca hostage to forcefully get the medal from him. Bianca then was saved by Romeo and the majority of the Black Brothers from the hostage-takers. Later, she was brought at San Babila Church to be reunited with her older brother Alfredo, who at that time was already suffering from tuberculosis. After the Martini siblings were reunited, Bianca became a special member of the Black Brothers.
Bianca and Alfredo victoriously cleared their tarnished names and reclaimed their inheritance on the day that they met with the King of Italy. The king was convinced that the Martini siblings truly did not murder their own parents. The following day after the meeting with the King of Italy, Alfredo passed away. During the period of mourning for Alfredo, Bianca went to Romeo, who became very depressed because of what happened. She said comforting and encouraging words to Romeo and even hugged him. After hearing from Bianca, Romeo gained the strength to accept Alfredo's death and the request of his fellow Black Brothers to become their new leader. Before Alfredo died, Bianca was entrusted to Dr. Casella. The kind-hearted doctor and professor took custody of Alfredo's younger sister and treated her like his own daughter. Bianca became Dr. Casella's "little nurse." When Bianca finally became an adult, she married Romeo. They have a child who is named after Alfredo.
- Vittorio Martini (ヴィットリオ・マティーニ)
- Voiced by Kazuhiko Kishino
- Viscount Vittorio Martini was the father of Alfredo and Bianca. His wife was Viscountess Patrizia Martini. A noble man from Piedmont region of Italy, he was an army officer during his younger days. Vittorio was one of the soldiers who fought against the Austrian army at Custoza. It was during the battle at Custoza that Vittorio risked his own life for the sake of Carlo Alberto, the King of Sardinia. The life of the King of Sardinia was saved and the Austrian army was defeated in the battle because of that heroic act. In recognition of Vittorio's heroism, Carlo Alberto gave Viscount Martini a medal with a "mark of benediction." The medal is a precious treasure of the Martini family. It became a lifelong source of pride for Vittorio. It also became a cause of great tragedy to the Martini family. Vittorio's younger brother Maurizio and his wife Grazela coveted all the treasures of the viscount, especially the medal. Because of this, the evil couple burned the Martini mansion, killing Viscount Vittorio and his wife Viscountess Patrizia.
- Before the viscount and his wife were burned to death, the precious Martini medal was entrusted to Alfredo.
- Patrizia Martini (パトリツィア・マティーニ)
- Voiced by Sanae Takagi
- Viscountess Patrizia Martini was the mother of Alfredo and Bianca. She was also the wife of Viscount Vittorio Martini of Piedmont. Patrizia and her husband died after the Martini mansion was burned by Maurizio and Grazela Martini. They were survived by their children, Alfredo and Bianca.
- Romeo's pet ermine, who strangely retains its winter coat throughout the series.
- Marchelo Rossi (マルチェロ・ロッシ)
- Voiced by Masahiro Anzai
- Romeo's boss, who bought him. Marchelo Rossi, commonly known just by his surname Rossi, was the man who bought Romeo from Luini, the "God of Death." He is a heavy drinker.
- Marchelo used to be easily manipulated by his selfish, bossy, fat wife Edda, but later he gained the courage to speak out his mind and do everything that he thinks is right. He did everything that he could to make Romeo's life easier in Milan. Romeo considers Rossi as his second father.
- Marchelo has one son, Anzelmo, and one foster daughter, Angeletta, the granddaughter of Countess Isabella Montovani. Angeletta was entrusted to Marchelo by Lady Isabella when she was still an infant. He took care of Angeletta until the countess finally accepted her granddaughter.
- Countess Angeletta Montovani (アンジェレッタ・モントバーニ)
- Voiced by Maria Kawamura
- Daughter of countess Isabel, she is a beautiful girl who lives with Rossi. Struck down with a lingering illness, she is unable to leave her bed, and is thus usually left alone in her room.
- Angeletta is the granddaughter of the "Ice Queen," Countess Isabella Montovani. Her father, Count Adolfo Montovani, was the only son of the countess, while her mother, Giovanna, was a commoner. Both of her parents died without being personally recognized by her. When Angeletta was still a baby, she was entrusted by Lady Isabella to Marchelo Rossi. She was not accepted by her grandmother to that time.
Angeletta was raised by her foster parents, Marchelo and Edda. Unlike her foster parents' real child, Anzelmo, she is an extremely kind person. Angeletta is also great in drawing and writing journals. It was proven through her sketchbook and diary. She is suffering from a serious heart illness for a long time.
Romeo and Angeletta became very close friends. Angeletta was nicknamed by Romeo as his "Angel." Romeo and the rest of the Black Brothers helped the "Angel" to get accepted by her grandmother. They successfully convinced the "Ice Queen" that Angeletta is not after the Montovani estate. Countess Montovani then took custody of her granddaughter. She brought Angeletta to Paris to be treated for her heart illness. Romeo and Angeletta had already developed feelings for each other before they separated. Angeletta is named "Angelita" in the Tagalog dub.
- Isabella Montovani (イザベラ・モントバーニ)
- Voiced by Nana Yamaguchi
- Countess Isabella Montovani is the grandmother of Angeletta. Her son, Count Adolfo, who fell in love with a commoner named Giovanna, was Angeletta's biological father. She used to be called "Ice Queen" because she used to have a very cold personality. Lady Isabella entrusted the infant Angeletta to Marchelo Rossi during an unseasonable springtime snowfall. She became the benefactor of Angeletta during her entire years with Rossi's family. It took several years before the countess accepted her granddaughter. Lady Isabella used to believe that Angeletta was only after the Montovani estate, but with the help of Romeo and the rest of the members of the Black Brothers, she was enlightened. In the end, Countess Montovani took custody of Angeletta. She brought her granddaughter to Paris to be treated for her serious heart illness.
- After Alfredo's Death
- She reappears later to help the siblings Alfredo and Bianca Martini reclaim their inheritance and clear their tarnished names. She also attended Alfredo Martini's funeral.
- Adolfo Montovani (アドルフォ・モントバーニ)
- Voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa & Sara Nakayama
- Lord Adolfo was the only son of Countess Isabella Montovani. He fell in love with Giovanna, a beautiful commoner and they bore a child together. Their child is Angeletta. Adolfo welcomed Giovanna and Baby Angeletta to the Montovani mansion, but Lady Isabella gave her disapproval because the honor of Adolfo's name is very important for her. The count and his family soon left the mansion. After leaving the Montovani mansion, Adolfo became ill and died without being personally recognized by his daughter, Angeletta.
- Voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama
- The leader of a juvenile street gang named the Wolves who consider themselves rivals of the Black Brothers. Despite his tough nature, he believes in Honor and does not tolerate cheating which was proven when he did not approve of his co-member Tashoni who used a switchblade in an attempt to defeat Romeo, when both his and Alfred/Romeo's groups agreed not to use weapons. He also does not fight the sick, as when he stopped himself from attacking Alfred when he found out that the latter was ill.
- Giovanni is the leader of the Wolf Pack gang. He is fair when it comes to fighting. This was proven when Giovanni and his companions fought with the Black Brothers. Before their fight began, he told everybody that using any kind of weapon is not allowed. But Tachioni, one of the members of the Wolf Pack, disobeyed. He drew a blade and tried to kill Romeo. Because of this, Giovanni accepted the defeat of the Wolf Pack gang in their fight against the Black Brothers. Later on in the series, Giovanni and his companions became more supportive for the Black Brothers. In the last episode of the anime, Giovanni and the rest of the members of the Wolf Pack gang decided to make peace with the Black Brothers.
- Nikita (ニキータ)
- Voiced by Aya Ishizu
- A tough, red-haired girl who is a member of Giovanni's gang. Although starting off as an enemy of the Black Brothers, she gradually adopts a more friendly attitude towards them, largely because she develops a crush on Alfredo.
- Nikita is the tomboy member of the Wolf Pack gang who develops a crush on Alfredo. At first, Romeo and the rest of the Black Brothers did not know that she is a girl, except Alfredo who revealed her secret after the Wolf Pack gang lost in their battle at San Babila Church. Dante develops a crush on her after he knew that she is a girl. Nikita became more friendly to Alfredo, Romeo, and the other members of the Black Brothers in later episodes of the anime series.
- After Alfredo's Death
- She was deeply saddened by the death of Alfredo. In order to recover from her depression, she swam in a river even though she knew that it was very cold because of the winter season in Milan. Before Alfredo died, he told Nikita to put a flower in her hair and that he will come running to see if she did. In the last episode of the anime, Nikita is shown wearing a flower in her hair. Before Romeo returned home to Sonogno, Nikita promised to him that she will take care of Alfredo's grave.
- Son of Rossi, he uses trick to stay in the Wolf Pack, including a made-up story claiming he was from Russian royalty. He is finally discovered and beaten up his old comrades. He takes revenge by framing Romeo.
- A Happening In A Village Of The Alps
- The Beginning Of The Destiny
- Farewell To My Village
- The Boy In The Portrait
- A Night In A Bar
- The Boat Is Sinking
- The House Of Angel
- The Present From The Angel
- A Love Letter In The Moonlight
- The Sketchbook
- Let's Become Friends
- Gone With The Fog
- The Meet In The Sewer
- Let's Get Away!
- Oath Of Eleven
- Alfredo is My Rival!
- The Duel At Saint Bavila Church
- The Song Of Unity
- The Grandmother Is A Witch
- The Puppet Of Teo
- The Secret Of Angeletta
- I Sae My Grandmother!
- Goodbye, My Angel
- The Brother And The Sister Meet Again
- The Proud Soul
- A Long Day
- The Young Noble Alfred
- Alfred Forever
- The Last Salute
- The Real Treasure
- A Lovely Christmas Eve
- To The Sky, On The Wing Of Freedom!
Popularity in the Arab world
The show was very popular in the Arab world and still in today as "عهد الأصدقاء" "Friends' Promise". Unlike most Arabic dubs of anime, Romeo's Blue Skies has retained most of its plot details without any altering.
- Romeo no Aoi Sora Drama and Soundtrack Vol 1 WPC6-8128
- Romeo no Aoi Sora Original Soundtrack Vol 2 WPC6-8138
- Sora E... (Opening song) Hiroko Kasahara WPD6-9037