Romeo Akbar Walter
|Romeo Akbar Walter|
|Directed by||Robbie Grewal|
|Edited by||Hemal Kothari|
|Distributed by||Panorama Studios|
|Box office||est. ₹53.48 crore|
Romeo Akbar Walter is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language action thriller film written and directed by Robbie Grewal. It stars John Abraham, Mouni Roy, Jackie Shroff and Sikandar Kher. Initially, Sushant Singh Rajput was to star in the film as the protagonist but opted out of it due to his prior commitments. The narrative centers around a banker who is recruited as a spy for an undercover operation in Pakistan, where he faces both physical and emotional challenges. The film was theatrically released on 5 April 2019.
In 1971, Shrikant Rai, the Chief of the RAW recruits Rehamatullah Ali a.k.a. Romeo, a banker, after he manages to foil a bank robbery staged by the RAW agents to test his skills for espionage in Pakistan. After training in combat and covert communication techniques, he departs to Pakistan.
In Pakistan, he becomes Akbar Malik and in his operations is helped by Joker and Mudassar, Pakistani locals helping RAW. Planned circumstances bring him closer to the target Isaq Afridi (Anil George), whose trust in him strengthens when Akbar not only assures him of his hatred towards India but also saves him from an attack conducted by the henchmen of Nawab Afridi. Akbar informs RAW about a planned attack on Badlipur that would claim innocent lives, both in India and East Pakistan. However, relations between Afridi and Akbar also intensify, due to which he refuses to betray him when Nawab approaches him with an offer to work for him. However, while leaving the rendezvous, Nawab forgets an envelope and asks Akbar to deliver it to the described room number. He is surprised to find his girlfriend Shraddha Sharma there and exclaims "You?" in disbelief. She gestures him to keep quiet and opens up a telephone receiver to show a spy transmitter inside it, proving that her room was bugged. She reveals that she too was working for the RAW and was sent there because Akbar wanted someone close to be sent for him.
In the meanwhile, Colonel Khan's suspicion grows on Akbar, whom he arrests, interrogates and tortures when he isn't able to extract any information. He is forced to free due to Akbar being Afridi's right hand. However, Akbar's cover soon gets blown, resulting in a chase between him and the colonel. Akbar manages to escape and arrives at home to find Mudassar telling him to escape. Akbar explains that there's no way to escape, due to which Mudassar agrees and goes to prepare tea for him. While waiting, Akbar suspects someone's presence. Hearing a gun clock, he takes out the gun given to him by Mudassar for emergencies, and shoots the person, only to realise it was no one else but Mudassar. Weeping but also remembering the latter's words warning him not to get entangled in relations, he escapes from the scene and the next day, disguised as an army captain, contacts Shrikant for help. The latter declines, telling him that he's not acting like an Indian any more. In the meanwhile, Shraddha and some other RAW agents are arrested while Joker commits suicide. Akbar then meets the army officer who interrogated him and his senior, revealing the truth. He decides to conduct the attacks on Badlipur himself as a form of revenge on the RAW. Accompanied by colonel Khan to avoid any sort of double-crossing, Akbar shocks him by bombing the entire village in a series of explosions, thus confirming his loyalty to Pakistan.
As a result, the Indo-Pakistani War breaks out. Akbar, now a Pakistani officer called Walter Khan, meets Shrikant and Awasthi in Nepal after 10 years. He departs after exchanging a few words and congratulating Awasthi for his impending promotion, leaving the latter surprised. Shrikant then reveals that Walter's still working undercover for India and how the latter's siding with Pakistan was all part of the plan. The bombing didn't cause any deaths as the villagers, warned about bad weather conditions, were moved out 24 hours before it took place. Shrikant also reveals Walter's loyalty towards work was the only reason he couldn't turn up even at his mother's funeral. The film ends with a shot of Walter saluting the Indian flag with tears in his eyes.
- John Abraham as Rehamatullah Ali a.k.a. Romeo/Akbar Malik/Walter Khan
- Mouni Roy as Parul/Shraddha Sharma
- Jackie Shroff as Shrikant Rai
- Sikandar Kher as Colonel Khan
- Suchitra Krishnamoorthi as Rehana Kazmi
- Raghubir Yadav as Mudassar
- Anil George as Isaq Afridi
- Rajesh Shringarpure as Awasthi
- Purnendu Bhattacharya as General Zorawar
- Mushtaq Kak as Joker
- Gyanendra Tripathi as Captain Adil
- Sharat Sonu as Robber_1
- Alka Amin as Waheeda
- Vikram Dahiya as Krav Maga Trainer
- Sanjeev Jaiswal as Deewan
- Shivraj Walvekar as Mishra Ji
- Shadaab Khan as Nawab Afridi
- Aashit Chatterjee as General Ghazi
- Pawan Kumar Jagoli as Ratan
The film shot in Kashmir, was initially scheduled to release on 15 March 2019 but then it was pushed back. It was scheduled to release worldwide on 12 April 2019 but later released on 5 April 2019.
Going by Rotten Tomatoes, the film has scored 10% based on 43 reviews with an average rating of 2.63/10. Renuka Vyavahare of Times Of India finds the climax of the film audacious and gives one and half stars out of five. She concludes, "RAW has its moments but is rough around the edges. The climax is audacious and you need to suspend your belief, if you plan to watch it." "Overall, Romeo Akbar Walter is another interesting film from John Abraham. The movie has enough twists and turns to keep you intrigued and engaged. Go for it." says Gaurang Chauhan of Times Now and gives three stars out of five. Sanyukta Thakare writing for The Free Press Journal rates the film with one and half stars out of five and says, "You would expect RAW to be an action-packed film as much as the trailer suggested, but the film is more of a drama web series that documents events one after the other, throwing in unnecessary emotional, romantic and climax more than it is required." Devesh Sharma of Filmfare giving 3 stars out of 5 says, "Watching the film is like akin to reading a John le Carré novel. You have one set of mandarins squaring off against the other with pawns being sacrificed for future advantage." Taran Adarsh gives 1.5 stars out of 5 says "Dull. Interesting stories don't necessarily translate into interesting films. Half baked writing + slow pacing play spoilsport. John, Jackie Shroff and Sikandar Kher excel. This thriller lacks thrill and grip."
Romeo Akbar Walter collected ₹5 crore on its opening day pan India. Its opening weekend collection from the domestic market was ₹20.85 crore. Its domestic gross was ₹45.84 crore and overseas gross ₹7.64 crore. It grossed ₹53.48 crore worldwide.
|Romeo Akbar Walter|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||2 April 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Ankit Tiwari chronology|
|Sohail Sen chronology|
|Raaj Aashoo chronology|
|1.||"Vande Mataram"||Shabbir Ahmed||Shabbir Ahmed||Sonu Nigam, Ekta Kapoor||4:57|
|2.||"Bulleya"||Ashok Punjabi||Sohail Sen||Rabbi Shergill, Shahid Mallya||4:25|
|3.||"Jee Len De"||Murli Agarwal||Raaj Aashoo||Mohit Chauhan||4:37|
|4.||"Allah Hoo Allah"||Shabbir Ahmed||Shabbir Ahmed||Sameer Khan, Maneesh Singh, Shreyas Puranik, Jay Mehta, Mayur Sakhare, Tejas Mahure||6:37|
|5.||"Maa"||Prince Dubey||Ankit Tiwari||Ankit Tiwari||3:19|
- "Romeo Akbar Walter (2019)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Romeo Akbar Walter box office collection day 1: John Abraham starrer gets moderate opening, May earn Rs 5 crore". Zeebiz. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Romeo Akbar Walter". Box Office India.
- "Romeo Akbar Walter". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "John Abraham's next film to be action thriller RAW: Romeo Akbar Walter". Mid Day. 3 March 2019.
- "Original stories attract audience". India Today.
- "John Abraham on Romeo Akbar Walter: I'd like to do patriotic movies but won't make jingoistic films". Firstpost. 4 March 2019.
- "RAW-Romeo Akbar Walter: John Abraham takes RAW to Kashmir along with Jackie Shroff". Bollywood Hungama. 14 August 2018.
- "RAW-Romeo Akbar Walter". BookMyShow.
- "Here's Why Sushant Singh Rajput Quits Romeo Akbar Walter". NDTV. Indo-Asian News Service. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Sushant Singh Rajput quits RAW, here's what the makers have to say!". Times Now. IANS. 31 August 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "John Abraham starrer Romeo Akbar Walter to be shot in Kashmir". Bollywood Hungama. 30 April 2018.
- "John Abraham starrer Romeo Akbar Walter is all set to release on this day next year". Deccan Chronicle. 18 September 2018.
- "John Abraham's Romeo Akbar Walter finally gets a release date". Mid Day. 18 September 2018.
- "Romeo Akbar Walter teaser: On Republic Day eve, John Abraham offers another patriotic treat. Watch video". Hindustan Times. 25 January 2019.
- "Romeo Akbar Walter teaser out: John Abraham has a Republic Day treat for fans". India Today.
- "Romeo Akbar Walter teaser: John Abraham's different 'faces' make the film look like a promising one". Times Now.
- "Romeo Akbar Walter". Netflix. June 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "ROMEO AKBAR WALTER". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- Vyavahare, Renuka. "RAW Movie Review". Times of India. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Chauhan, Gaurang. "RAW Movie Review: John Abraham starrer is an effective espionage thriller that'll stay with you". Times Now. Zoom Entertainment. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Thakare, Sanyukta. "Romeo Akbar Walter Movie Review: John Abraham starrer can put you to sleep; needs more than just changing length of his beard". The Free Press Journal. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- Sharma, Devesh (4 April 2019). "Movie Review: Romeo Akbar Walter". Filmfare. Retrieved 4 April 2019.
- "taran adarsh "@taran_adarsh"". Twitter. 5 April 2019.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Romeo Akbar Walter – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Gaana.