Romeo and Juliet (2013 Broadway play)
|Romeo and Juliet|
Poster of the 2013 Broadway theatre production
|Directed by||Don Roy King|
|Produced by||Ellen M. Krass|
|Written by||William Shakespeare|
|Music by||David Van Tieghem|
|Edited by||Rob Burgos|
Romeo and Juliet is a filmed performance of the 2013 Broadway theatrical production of William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet starring Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashād which was produced as a 2014 film by BroadwayHD and Fathom Events.
- Orlando Bloom – Romeo
- Condola Rashād – Juliet
- Brent Carver – Friar Laurence
- Jayne Houdyshell – Nurse
- Donté Bonner – Sampson
- Christian Camargo – Mercutio
- Joe Carroll – Balthasar
- Brent Carver – Friar Laurence
- Chuck Cooper – Lord Capulet
It was the first Broadway production of the play Romeo and Juliet since 1977. The play ran on Broadway at Richard Rodgers Theatre from September 19 to December 8, 2013 for 93 regular performances after 27 previews starting on August 24 with Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashād in the starring roles. On November 27, two performances of the production were filmed with nine cameras in high definition, and these performances were scheduled to be released in 2000 theatres on February 13 for the Valentine's Day week in 2014 in the United States. The United Kingdom theatrical release date was April 1.
This production depicts Romeo and his Montague family with white actors, while Juliet and her Capulet family are depicted with black actors. The production was a modernization featuring a Triumph motorcycle and zip-up jackets. The show marked Bloom's Broadway debut, and although Rashad had earned Tony Award nominations for both of her two prior Broadway roles, it was the first professional Shakespeare production for both stars. Therefore, the actors hired Patsy Rodenburg of Guildhall School of Music and Drama as a Shakespearean voice instructor.
The play was met with modest reviews. Broadwayworld.com critic, Michael Dale, viewed the work as "lacking" in many respects. Despite the fact that Director David Leveaux uses a grand entrance for star Bloom on a motorcycle, the show is mostly "stale" according to Terry Teachout of The Wall Street Journal. The Hollywood Reporter's David Rooney described the production as "snoozy". Nonetheless the film received a fresh rating from 5 out of 6 reviewers at Rotten Tomatoes.
- Lee, Felicia R. (April 1, 2013). "Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad to Star in 'Romeo and Juliet' on Broadway". The New York Times. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Hetrick, Adam and Andrew Gans (November 19, 2013). "Broadway Revival of Romeo and Juliet, Starring Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad, Will Close Dec. 8". Playbill. Archived from the original on May 29, 2014. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Kennedy, Mark (January 14, 2014). "'Romeo And Juliet' Broadway Revival Becomes Valentine's Day Film". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Clark, Cath (April 1, 2014). "Broadway's Romeo And Juliet (PG)". Time Out. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Brantley, Ben (September 19, 2013). "Such Sweet Sorrow: Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad in 'Romeo and Juliet'". The New York Times. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Schuessler, Jennifer (September 12, 2013). "Letting Lips Do What Hands Do: A Voice Instructor for the Leads in 'Romeo and Juliet'". The New York Times. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Dale, Michael (September 19, 2013). "ROMEO AND JULIET: Deny Thy Director and Refuse Thy Production". Broadwayworld.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Teachout, Terry (September 19, 2013). "'Romeo and Juliet' on Broadway is Shakespeare in Modern Dross". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- Rooney, David (September 19, 2013). "Romeo and Juliet: Theater Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "Romeo And Juliet (Broadway Hd) (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
Official film website]