|Village of Romeoville|
|Nickname(s): The Ville or ChicagoVille|
|Motto: Where Community Matters!|
Location of Romeoville in Will County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Mayor||John Noak|
|• Total||18.76 sq mi (48.6 km2)|
|• Land||18.44 sq mi (47.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.32 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||617 ft (188 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||39,706|
|• Density||2,151.82/sq mi (830.82/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP Code(s)||60446, 60491|
|Area code(s)||815/779 and 630/331|
|Wikimedia Commons||Romeoville, Illinois|
Romeoville is a village in Will County, Illinois, United States. The village is located 26 miles (42 km) southwest of Chicago and is a Chicago Suburb. The population was 39,680 at the 2010 census. It is located in the southwest suburban area of Chicago near the newly constructed I-355 extension south from the Stevenson Expressway (I-55) to I-80. It is the state's 19th largest village.
Romeoville is located at (41.640480, -88.102907).
According to the 2010 census, Romeoville has a total area of 18.759 square miles (48.59 km2), of which 18.44 square miles (47.76 km2) (or 98.3%) is land and 0.319 square miles (0.83 km2) (or 1.7%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 21,153 people, 6,764 households, and 5,384 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,457.4 people per square mile (562.9/km²). There were 7,379 housing units at an average density of 508.4 per square mile (196.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 60% White, 5.38% African American, 0.39% Native American. Asian, 0 Pacific Islander, 4.91% from other races, and 2.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 37.15% of the population.
There were 6,764 households out of which 43.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.8% were married couples living together, 10.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.4% were non-families. 15.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.99 and the average family size was 3.35.
In the village, the population was spread out with 28.6% under the age of 18, 11.8% from 18 to 24, 37.7% from 25 to 44, 16.2% from 45 to 64, and 5.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 101.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $60,738, and the median income for a family was $63,320. Males had a median income of $41,267 versus $29,724 for females. The per capita income for the village was $21,221. About 1.1% of families and 1.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.5% of those under age 18 and 3.3% of those age 65 or over.
Romeoville is home to over 600 businesses, and has received an award for most jobs created for any organization of its size, by adding 1,560 new jobs between 2012-2013.
According to the 2015 Community Profile, the top employers in the village are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|1||Valley View School District 365U||1,300|
|3||PDV Midwest Refining CITGO||803|
Other major employers include Magid Glove and Safety, Village of Romeoville, Innotrac, Chicago Tube and Iron, and Life Time Fitness.
Romeoville residents attend School in the following :
- Valley View Early Childhood Center
- Beverly Skoff Elementary School
- Irene King Elementary School
- Kenneth L. Hermansen Elementary School
- Robert C. Hill Elementary School
- A. Vito Martinez Middle School
- John J. Lukancic Middle School
- Romeoville High School
- St. Andrew the Apostle School
Romeoville Christian Academy, founded in 1974, offers computer classes, foreign languages, and a full sports and fine arts program.
- Plainfield East High School
- Eichelberger Elementary School
- Creekside Elementary School
- Lakewood Falls Elementary School
- John F Kennedy Middle School
- Indian Trails Middle School
- Joliet Junior College, a community college in Joliet, has a branch campus in Romeoville.
- Rasmussen College
- Lewis University, a private Catholic Lasallian university with an enrollment of more than 6,400.
- A station on Metra's Heritage Corridor line began construction on May 16, 2017.
- Lewis University Airport
- Pace bus route 834 serves the village.
- The Santa Fe Railway formerly operated a station at Romeoville Station.
Major highways in Romeoville include:
- Gerald Coleman, goaltender with the Lake Erie Monsters and Tampa Bay Lightning
- Egotistico Fantastico, pro wrestler
- Oliver Gibson, DT, played with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cincinnati Bengals
- Byron Stingily, OT, currently plays with the Pittsburgh Steelers
- "USGS detail on Newtown". Retrieved 2007-10-21.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Community Profile". Retrieved 2016-08-04.