Romer Shoal Light
|Location||South of Ambrose Channel, New York Harbor|
|Year first constructed||1838|
|Year first lit||1898 (current tower)|
|Foundation||Concrete / cast iron caisson|
|Tower shape||Frustum of a cone -- sparkplug|
|Markings / pattern||White bottom, red top including lantern|
|Height||54 feet (16 m)|
|Focal height||54 feet (16 m)|
|Original lens||Fourth-order Fresnel lens|
|Current lens||7.5 inches (190 mm)|
|Range||15 nautical miles (28 km; 17 mi)|
|Characteristic||Flashing white twice 15 s|
|Fog signal||Horn: 2 every 30 s|
Romer Shoal Light Station
|Nearest city||Highlands, New Jersey|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||U.S. Lighthouse Board|
|MPS||Light Stations of the United States MPS|
|NRHP Reference #|||
|Added to NRHP||January 24, 2007|
|Designated NJRHP||August 16, 2006|
Romer Shoal Light is a sparkplug lighthouse in Lower New York Bay, on the north edge of the Swash Channel, about 3⁄4 nautical mile (1.4 km; 0.86 mi) south of Ambrose Channel and 2 1⁄2 nautical miles (4.6 km; 2.9 mi) north of Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in the entrance to New York Harbor. It is in New Jersey, very close to the border with New York.
The Light was badly damaged during Hurricane Sandy. The non-profit that has taken over stewardship of the Light is working with FEMA and private donors to save this national landmark.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: New Jersey". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard. 2009. p. 204.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of the United States: New Jersey". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Staff (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Monmouth County" (PDF). New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. March 1, 2011. Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- NOAA Chart #12327 New York Harbor 1/40,000 2006
- USGS quadrangle for cited location
|This article about a property in New Jersey on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|