Romsey and Southampton North (UK Parliament constituency)
|Romsey and Southampton North|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Romsey and Southampton North in Hampshire.
Location of Hampshire within England.
|Electorate||67,696 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Caroline Nokes (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Romsey and Southampton North is a constituency represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since its 2010 creation by Caroline Nokes, a Conservative. For the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer it is a county constituency.
Parliament accepted the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies which created this constituency for the 2010 general election primarily as an extended Romsey constituency.
Romsey and Southampton North is formed from electoral wards:
- Bassett; and Swaythling in the City of Southampton:
- Abbey, Ampfield and Braishfield, Blackwater, Broughton and Stockbridge, Chilworth, Nursling and Rownhams, Cupernham, Dun Valley, Harewood, Kings Somborne and Michelmersh, North Baddesley, Over Wallop, Romsey Extra, Tadburn, Valley Park in Test Valley
The constituency takes in the bulk of a more affluent and older-population local government district with a fraction of a contrasting district: the net result is a working population whose income is close to the national average and lower than average reliance upon social housing. At the end of 2012, the unemployment rate in the constituency stood as 1.5% of the population claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, compared to the regional average of 2.4%. The borough contributing to the bulk of the seat has a low 13.5% of its population without a car, 18.4% of the population without qualifications and a high 30.5% with Level 4 qualifications or above. In terms of tenure 70.4% of homes are owned outright or on a mortgage as at the 2011 census in Test Valley district.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Catherine Royce||10,662||21.3||+3.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Ben Nicholls||8,573||17.7||-23.5|
This constituency was contested for the first time at the 2010 general election.
|Liberal Democrat||Sandra Gidley||20,189||41.3||−2.4|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrat||Swing||+4.5|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- 2001 Census
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- 2011 census interactive maps Archived 2016-01-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 2)
- "Romsey & Southampton North parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.