Romulus, My Father (film)
|Romulus, My Father|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Richard Roxburgh|
|Produced by||Robert Connolly
|Screenplay by||Nick Drake|
|Based on||Romulus, My Father
by Raimond Gaita
|Music by||Basil Hogios|
|Edited by||Suresh Ayyar|
|Distributed by||Dendy Films|
Romulus, My Father is a 2007 Australian drama film directed by Richard Roxburgh. Based on the memoir by Raimond Gaita, the film tells the story of Romulus (Eric Bana) and his wife Christine (Franka Potente), and their struggle in the face of great adversity to raise their son, Raimond (Kodi Smit-McPhee). The film marks the directorial debut for Australian actor Richard Roxburgh. It was commended in the Australian Film Critics Association 2007 Film Awards.
It tells the story of Romulus Gaiţă, a Romanian immigrant to Australia after World War II and his struggle in the face of great adversity to bring up his son, Raimond. As close family members die around him Raimond has to deal with the deterioration of his father's mental health. It is a story of impossible love that ultimately celebrates the unbreakable bond between father and son.
- Eric Bana as Romulus, the father of Raimond.
- Kodi Smit-McPhee as Raimond, the son of Romulus and Christine. Raimond Gaita was born in Germany in 1946 and arrived in Australia in 1950 at the age of four.
- Franka Potente as Christine, the mother of Raimond and the former wife of Romulus.
- Marton Csokas as Hora, a friend of Romulus. Hora becomes a temporary father figure to a young Raimond Gaita while his father is in a psychiatric hospital.
- Russell Dykstra as Mitru
- Jacek Koman as Vacek
- Alethea McGrath as Mrs Lillie
- Terry Norris as Tom Lillie
- Esme Melville as Miss Collard
- Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
- Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
- Carisbrook, Victoria, Australia
- Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
- Maldon, Victoria, Australia
- Maryborough, Victoria, Australia
- "Real Wild Child" – John O'Keefe, Dave Owens, Johnny Greenan
- "My Prayer" – The Platters
- Winner Golden Tripod Award, Australian Cinematographers Society—2007
- Winner AFI Award for Best Film, Best Lead Actor (Eric Bana), Best Supporting Actor (Marton Csokas), and Young Actor's Award (Kodi Smit-McPhee) – 2007
- Nominated AFI Award for Best Cinematography (Geoffrey Simpson), Best Costume Design, Best Direction, Best Editing, Best Lead Actor (Kodi Smit-McPhee), Best Lead Actress (Franka Potente), Best Original Music Score, Best Production Design, Best Screenplay, Best Sound, Best Supporting Actor (Russell Dykstra), Best Supporting Actress (Esme Melville) – 2007
- Won Australian Screen Sound Guild Award for Best Achievement in Sound for Film Sound Recording—2007
- Nominated Australian Screen Sound Guild Award for Best Achievement in Sound for Film Sound Design, Best Achievement in Sound for Film Sound Mixing, Feature Film Soundtrack of the Year—2007
- Won FCCA Award for Best Actor in Supporting Role (Marton Csokas) – 2008
- Won Special Achievement Award, FCAA to Kodi Smit-McPhee—2008
- Nominated FCAA Award for Best Actor (Eric Bana), Best Actor in Supporting Role (Kodi Smit-McPhee), Best Cinematography, Best Director, Best Editing, Best Film, Best Music Score—2008
- Nominated Young Artist Awards, Best Performance in an International Feature Film (Kodi Smit-McPhee)
Romulus, My Father grossed $2,589,674 at the box office in Australia.