Ron Canada in 2009
Ronald Ellis Canada|
May 3, 1949
New York City, New York, United States
Ronald Ellis Canada (born May 3, 1949) is an American actor with a speciality in portraying judges and detectives.
Following completion of the Michele Clark broadcast journalism program at Columbia University, under the guidance of legendary news producer Fred Friendly, Canada commenced his career as a television news reporter in 1971 at WBAL-TV. In 1974, he began his three-year tenure at WJLA-TV in Washington, D.C. For his work in the nation’s capital Canada was nominated twice for local Emmys, receiving the award in 1977. The following year he received an A.P. Award for Outstanding Reporting.
He began his acting career in 1978. While making the career transition he worked part-time as a broadcaster for The Voice of America (U.S. Information Agency). He studied acting at The Folger Theatre Group under the tutelage of Franchelle Stewart Dorn. He moved from D.C. to New York in 1985. Shortly thereafter he became the second actor to play the role of ‘Troy Maxson’ in August Wilson’s Fences at The GeVa Theatre in Rochester, New York (January 1986).
Canada has had a long career in both television and film, known primarily for his work in Cinderella Man, Wedding Crashers, and his recurring role as Under Secretary of State Ted Barrow on The West Wing. In 1996, Ron received the Dallas Film Critics Award and significant national attention for his performance as "Otis Payne" in director John Sayles' acclaimed feature film LONE STAR. Also known for his stage work in 1997, he played the role of Iago in Shakespeare's Othello at the Shakespeare Theatre Company in Washington, D.C. Other notable stage credits include his role as Emmet Tate in Zooman and The Sign at New York's Signature Theatre and originating the role of Duncan Troy in Headstrong at The Ensemble Studio Theatre, which earned him an Audelco Award nomination as Best Supporting Actor.
- Designated Survivor (2017) as Reverend Dale
- The Discovery (2017) as Cooper
- Ted 2 (2015) as Judge Matheson
- After Words (2015) as Nelson
- The Strain (2015) as Mayor George Lyle
- Grimm (2014) as Stan Kingston
- Let's Stay Together (2011–14) as Garrison Lawrence
- Blue Bloods (TV series) (2013) as Deputy Director Tom Mason
- The Mentalist "Red Scare" (2009) as Philip Raimey
- Law & Order "Bottomless" (2008) as Mr. Fuller
- Snowglobe (2007) as Antonio Moreno
- Stargate SG-1 (2007) as Quartus
- Weeds (2006) as Joseph
- Ugly Betty (2006) as Senator Slater
- Boston Legal as Judge Willard Reese
- The West Wing as Under Secretary of State Theodore Barrow
- Just Like Heaven (2005) as Dr. Walsh
- Wedding Crashers (2005) as Randolph, the Clearys' Butler
- Cinderella Man (2005) as Joe Jeanette
- Jack & Bobby as Adult Marcus Ride
- National Treasure (2004) as Guard Woodruff
- Ground Control II: Operation Exodus (2004)
- The Shield (2003–2004) as LAPD Chief of Police Tom Bankston (4 episodes)
- One on One, (2001–2004), as Richard Barnes (father of Flex), 14 episodes
- The Hunted (2003) as FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Harry Van Zandt
- Frasier: "The Ring Cycle" (2002) as Judge Anderson
- Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD (1998) as Gabe Jones
- Lone Star (1996) as nightclub owner Otis "Big O" Payne
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: "Fight Night" as Gerry Barone
- The X-Files: "Empedocles" as Det. Franklin Potter
- Star Trek: Voyager: "Juggernaut" (1999) as Fesek
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "Rules of Engagement" (1996) as Ch'Pok
- Family Matters: "Walking My Baby Back Home" (1995) as Dave McClure
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: "The Masterpiece Society" (1992) as Martin Benbeck
- Above Suspicion (1995) as Captain Lindsay
- The American President (1995) as Lloyd
- Babylon 5: "A Voice in the Wilderness, part 2" (1994) as Capt. Ellis Pierce
- Getting Even with Dad (1994) as Zinn
- A Different World (1992) as Grover James
- Honey, I Blew Up the Kid (1992) as Marshall Brooks
- Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) as Times Square police officer
- Downtown (1990) as Lowell Harris
- Stat as Anderson "Mary" Roche
- Cheers as Agent Munson
- Dallas as Dave Wallace
- Adventures in Babysitting (1987) as Graydon
- D.C. Cab (1983) as Police Officer #4
- The Man Who Wasn't There (1983) as Barker
- 7th Heaven as Dr. Sergey Barker
- Living Single as Lanny Freedan
- "Ron Canada". Rotten Tomatoes.
- Rose, Lloyd (9 April 2013). "Theater & Dance". The Washington Post.
- Isherwood, Charles (25 March 2009). "A Cold Soul, and the Society That Put It on Ice". The New York Times.
- "2012 'Viv' Nominees". Audience Development Committee, Inc. Archived from the original on 2013-08-16.